Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The amazing importance of rest

Today is the last day of a two-week vacation.  As I contemplate returning to my normal routine tomorrow, a part of me certainly feels sadness to see it end.  At the same time, I feel happy as I look back on a fantastic season of needed rest and relaxation.

We live our lives at such a frenetic pace today.  We always have so many things pulling at us.  That’s why it is so vitally important to take time out and recharge our batteries.  I’m not necessarily referring to vacations per se (speaking for myself, I can’t go away on a vacation as much as I’d like to because of the responsibilities in my life).  But as I thought about this topic, I was reminded afresh that God Himself told us how important it is to take time out of our busy lives to rest.  Of course, I’m referring to the admonition to keep the Sabbath (Exodus 20:9-11).

I wonder if you’ve ever thought about the Sabbath as a one-day vacation.  In my opinion, that’s what the Sabbath is supposed to be.  It supposed to be a day set aside for recuperating from a busy week.  How many of us are guilty of not following God’s command to rest on Sunday?  I’m not trying to pile on the guilt; I'm simply trying to remind us all that rest is vital to our human existence.  Without it, we will simply crash and burn from exhaustion.  We need time to rest.

Kevin

"Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God.  On it you shall not do any work" - Deuteronomy 5:13 

No comments:

Post a Comment