Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Finding satisfaction in God

I love Psalm 63.  The opening verses read, “O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek You; my flesh thirsts for You; my flesh faints for You, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.  So I have looked upon You in the sanctuary, beholding Your power and glory.  Because Your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise You.  So I will bless You as long as I live; in Your name I will lift up my hands” (verses 1-4; ESV).  Amen!

Pay close attention to the beginning of verse 5: “My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food.”  The older I get, the more patently clear it is to me that only God truly satisfies the deep hunger and thirst of the soul.  John Piper often puts it this way: “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.”  I used to wrestle with that sentiment, but I believe that he is right.

The other options just leave you with a bad case of indigestion, as it were.  They leave you with regret, heartache, and shame.  How do I know that?  First, because that’s what the Bible says (see Isaiah 55:2); second, because to be transparent with you, I have chosen disobedience and sin at times in my life.  It always leaves me guilty, unfulfilled, and despondent.

In acknowledgement of the day being Halloween (and with the recognition of all the candy you will have), I thought I would conclude with talking about Snickers.  The Snickers advertisements tell us “Snickers satisfies.”  I've even found the word “satisfies” right on the snickers wrapper.  Well, I like snickers, and while it may temporarily lessen hunger, ultimately it doesn’t really satisfy.  God alone satisfies.  He satisfies you at the deepest part of your heart and soul.

Kevin     

No comments:

Post a Comment