Saturday, December 16, 2017

Unwrapping Christmas

“There must be something wrong with me, Linus,” Charlie Brown says to his friend in the classic program “A Charlie Brown Christmas”, “Christmas is coming, but I’m not happy.  I don’t feel the way I’m supposed to feel.  I just don’t understand Christmas, I guess.”  If I were a betting man (and I’m not), I’d wager that many, in the quietness of their hearts, can resonate with Charlie.  Or perhaps you relate with Lois Lane; in a Christmas episode of the TV show “Lois and Clark” she said, “For once, I’d like to feel Christmas.  Discover it.  Unwrap it and be surprised by how wonderful it is; instead of having it relentlessly shoved in my face like half-off coupons at a swap meet.”
 
The truth of the matter is Christmas is wonderful.  But the essence of Christmas – what makes it so amazing – has been buried under an avalanche of added cultural layers that can easily depress and confuse us. For example, consider the film “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”.  A reindeer is ostracized by his peers because of his abnormal feature of having a red nose.  But when a foggy Christmas Eve hits, Santa Claus puts Rudolph in the front of his sleigh to let his red nose act as a beacon to lead them through the fog.  Rudolph is cheered as a hero.  This is a good movie.  The underdog triumphs over adversity.  But, the reality is, this film has nothing to do with the essence of Christmas.  One has to keep digging.

Another factor of this topic is the gift giving element.  We run at mach speed to find the best gift for all of our family, friends, and everyone else on our list.  Is it wrong to do this?  Certainly not.  It’s good to give.  But this hustle and bustle thoroughly exhausts us (and probably puts us into credit card debt too); worst of all, this tradition is only a shadow of why we celebrate this season in the first place.

Further, there is pain in many hearts during the Christmas season.  I know as surely as I know my own name that someone is reading this and you are facing this Christmas without your parent, spouse, sibling, or best friend.  This person passed away and now you are walking around with immense pain in your heart; a pain that you almost feel guilty to bring up due to the expectation that you are supposed to be having “a holly jolly Christmas” because “it’s the best time of the year”.  I know all about this one.  This is my third Christmas season without my dad since he passed away, and the pain can still be visceral and intense.  I love Christmas, but his absence makes December a much more difficult month.

So what, then, is the conclusion to all this?  Why do we celebrate Christmas?  The sad truth is many celebrate it because that’s just what they have always done since childhood.  But there is so more to Christmas.  As a matter of fact, my dad once wrote about this in one of his songs.  Perhaps one day I will share the lyrics, but for today, it’s sufficient to state that Dad focused on how Christmas has many fun elements (Christmas lights, parties, Santa Claus, mistletoe, gifts under the tree, etc.), but they are not what Christmas is about; Christmas is, in his words, “a time to celebrate the birth of Jesus.”
 
Someone is thinking, “OK. I can concede that.  But why does Jesus’ birth have any relevance to my life today?”  That is the question that I want tackle in the next blog.  But let me leave you with this: it has been my prayer that you would, as Lois Lane put it, unwrap Christmas and see just how wonderful it truly is.  Not because of Santa, or elves, Rudolph, or Frosty the Snowman, but because of Jesus Christ’s arrival into this world.

To be continued!

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment