Friday, July 27, 2018

"God of all comfort"

This month marks a full three years now since my world was changed forever.   Danny Gokey paints a vivid word picture when he sings these words in his song “Tell Your Heart to Beat Again”: “You’re shattered like you’ve never been before.  The life you knew in a thousand pieces on the floor; and words fall short in times like these, when this world brings you to your knees.  You think you’re never going to get back to the you that used to be.”

I’ve known sorrow, pain, and anguish these three years like I never knew before.  But I’ve learned a lot of lessons along the way as well.  One thing I’ve learned is that God comforts.  I’ve tipped my hand on this subject by titling the blog “God of all comfort.”  This is a phrase from 2 Corinthians 1:3: “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and God of all comfort.”  In Isaiah 51, God says, “I, even I, am He who comforts you.”

An article from Got questions discussing how a Christian can find comfort after the death of a parent, states, “The God of the Bible delights in comforting the afflicted and healing the brokenhearted (Jeremiah 17:14; 2 Corinthians 1:3-4; 7:6).  He is a “father to the fatherless” (Psalm 68:5).  When we are grieved by the loss of our loved ones, God is quick to offer us His peace.  In the midst of our mourning, we can know the presence of God with us; even in our sorrow, we can draw near to Him in worship and prayer.”  The citation of 2 Corinthians 7:6 in this article was a good reminder to me.  It reads, “Nevertheless, God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus” (italics mine for emphasis).  It is true.


Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment