Thursday, October 29, 2020

Render to Caesar and render to God

With the Presidential Election coming up in just a few days, I think I would be negligent if I didn’t write a few words on the subject.  First, I think it’s easy to take all of the gifts we as American citizens enjoy for granted.  One of those benefits is the chance to vote.  It’s amazing when you stop and think about it: we get to choose the leaders in the highest offices of this land.  And yet many still don’t exercise their civic duty and cast their vote.  I spent some time looking at quotes on the importance of voting.  Kim Wehle puts it so well:

“Voting is vitally important, even if an individual vote doesn’t sway a particular election one way or another.  It is the only way that “We the people” self-govern.  The ability to self-govern is both a privilege and a gift – one that we honor by showing up at the ballot booth…It’s sometimes hard for Americans to fathom that not everyone on the planet enjoys the privilege of self-government.” (Sourcehttps://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/19242142.Kim_Wehle)

In Mark 12, some slick religious leaders tried to trap Jesus with a loaded question.  They asked if it was right to pay taxes.  Jesus answered this by saying, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s” (verse 17).  I could write a whole blog on this interesting exchange in Mark’s Gospel, but I’ll give my abridged version.  I think it was Adrian Rogers who said that the “render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s” clause is not just to pay taxes, but also as Americans, this includes casting a vote.

However, let’s not miss that second half of Jesus’ words; He said, “and [render] to God the things that are God’s.”  As a Christian, I am to give my worship, trust, dreams, and ultimately my entire life to God.  So, as the Presidential Election looms closer, I hope you will vote.  I hope you will vote your conscience and values.  We should never take this for granted.  But regardless of the outcome, remember there is a glorious God who is sitting on His throne, in sovereign control, no matter what.  Jesus said in Matthew 6, “But seek first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”    

Let me conclude with this story.  The other day, while I was driving, I missed my street.  I decided to turn into a large venue with a huge parking lot, so I could turn around and get back on the right path.  Somehow I didn’t realize that it was closed for renovations (or perhaps because of covid-19, I’m still not sure).  I must have driven around that lot a dozen times.  Every time I came to a place in that parking lot typically designated to exit, it was either gated, or closed off with orange cones.  Finally, I realized that there was only one way out: the solitary entryway that I had initially turned into.

In a similar way, we all seem to drive around (if you will) seeking hope and salvation in life.  We think perhaps they are found in the avenue of marriage, career, or politics.  But that’s not the case.  All of these things have their place, but they will never provide lasting hope and everlasting satisfaction. (And by the way, it’s not found in success for the local NFL football team, either.  The Denver Broncos are off to another slow start this year.  They are 2-4, and coming off another lopsided defeat; 43-16 to the Kansas City Chiefs.)  Where are hope, salvation, and peace found?  In a Person: Jesus Christ.  The old hymn says it so well: “My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness…all other ground is sinking sand.”

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment