Thursday, March 31, 2022

March highlights

Here I am again, presenting what seems to be the new normal of the blog format (although this time it’s 3 blogs smashed into one, rather than 4).  It’s disheartening to write this infrequently, but on the other hand, I’m happy to write something, even it is just once a month.  So here we go:

#1: Excitement in Bronco-land again

Several weeks ago, the Denver Broncos pulled off a blockbuster trade and acquired quarterback Russell Wilson from the Seattle Seahawks.  We are pinching ourselves in Bronco-land that this amazing talent is going to be here in Denver!

Someone on the radio remarked that Bronco fans are spoiled; first, we were treated with the quarterback play of John Elway; soon after, we got to enjoy the quarterback play of Peyton Manning.  Now, after 6 years, it’s a new era with a new superstar in town: Russell Wilson.

#2: Thoughts on Batman

On March 4th, the newest Batman movie known simply as “The Batman” was released.  I haven’t seen it, but I’ve read reviews that lead me to believe this film sticks with you long after viewing.  The same could also be said for the 2008 film “The Dark Knight”.  I’m surprised how, 14 years later, we are still talking about this film (and not just because of Heath Ledger’s memorizing performance as the Joker).  I recently watched the film again, and doing so leads me to post a few thoughts today.  

For example, I read an interesting article where the author, named Gavin Von Voorhis, debates what film is better: “Spider-Man 2” or “The Dark Knight” (by the way, feel free to disagree, but I have contended for years that “Spider-Man 2” is the best superhero movie ever made).  He devotes a considerable amount of time to this subject matter, something that is not feasible for me to do here.  But at one point, Gavin articulates something I never considered; he writes: “The Joker is defeated not by Batman, but by the realization that people won’t resort to chaos when in a no win situation.”  (Sourcehttps://hamptonian.org/1051/entertainment/spider-man-2-vs-the-dark-knight-marvel-vs-dc-

Furthermore, I wonder if anyone ever watched the ending of “The Dark Knight” and had the thought that there was an allusion to Jesus.  You recall the details of the final moments of the film: Harvey Dent/ Two-Face attempts to murder both Commissioner Gordon’s wife and son, until Batman swoops in and stops him.  In the struggle, Batman and Two-Face fall a considerable distance, and Harvey Dent dies on impact.  To protect Harvey’s clean, good guy persona, Batman announces that he is going to claim responsibility for Harvey’s murderous actions.  So is this an allusion, an indirect reference, to Jesus?  After all, in a very sense, Batman takes Harvey’s sins upon himself. 

If you were asking me that question, first of all, I have to say that I’m not condoning Batman’s decision here.  I strongly disagree with Batman’s statement that “sometimes the truth is not good enough.  Sometimes people deserve more.”  Conversely, Jesus said it is the truth that will set you free (John 8:32), and He also stated to be the very embodiment of truth (John 14:6).  So I submit that there are clearer Christ allusions in the superhero genre than this.  That said, I still couldn’t help but think of Jesus when, as Batman was running away to be chased for offenses he didn’t commit, Gordon’s son comments, “he didn’t do anything wrong.”

#3: “Walking free”

Micah Tyler wrote a song that has been such a blessing to me; it’s titled “Walking Free”.  The first stanza is as follows: “The verdict was guilty; case closed, the end.  No chance to ever leave the prison of my sin.  Now I know it might sound crazy, but one day a key unlocked that cell.  I heard a small voice say, ‘Your debt’s been paid by somebody else’ and now I’m walking, walking, walking free.  No more darkness, guilt has lost its grip on me.  When mercy call my name those chains fell at my feet, and now I’m walking, walking, walking free.”

When I think about who I would be, or where I would be without the Lord, I can only lift my voice and hands to God in worship that He saved me.  Don’t get me wrong, even though I’m a Christian, I still battle sin every day.  I’m far from perfect; I make the sinful, selfish choice (incidentally, in the next stanza of the song, Micah vocalizing the same struggles, and I appreciate his honesty).  But the Lord graciously offers me a hand, picks me up, cleans me up, and invites me to walk with Him again in fellowship.

Kevin 

No comments:

Post a Comment