Monday, July 10, 2023

Independence Day thoughts - one week late

I found myself quite embarrassed when I realized something: I had inadvertently skipped over my Independence Day thoughts in this blog last week.  This was not my intention; so I wanted to correct this glaring omission right now.   

Amidst the festivities of my July 4th celebration a week ago, I was blessed to hear most of a rendition of Lee Greenwood’s classic song “God bless the USA”.  Nostalgia washed over me because when I was a small boy, I sang this song several times on stage, with my father providing the piano accompaniment.  Let me present a small sampling of this song’s lyrics:

“I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free.  And I won’t forget the men who died and gave that life to me, and I’ll gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.  ‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land.  God bless the U.S.A.  From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee, across the plains of Texas; from sea to shining sea.  From Detroit down to Houston, and from New York to L.A.  Well, there’s pride in every American heart and it’s time we stand and say, that I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free.”

Freedom, as the saying goes, isn’t free.  Thomas Jefferson once remarked, “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.”  Ronald Reagan declared, “I don’t have to tell you how fragile this precious gift of freedom is, every time we hear, watch, or read the news, we are reminded that liberty is a rare commodity in this world.  Harry Truman once said, “Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women in the service of our country can never be repaid.  They have earned our undying gratitude.  America will never forget their sacrifices.” (all the quotes can be found at this link)  I thank God for the freedom I enjoy as an American.  I will not take it for granted.

God bless,

Kevin
   

No comments:

Post a Comment