Thursday, February 15, 2024

Valentine's Day thoughts - one day later

A quote has been on my mind.  It’s appropriate for Valentine’s Day even if it is one day late.  I once heard an interview where the guest said these wise words:

“It’s so important that marriage, or finding that person, or being in that relationship doesn’t become our substitute god.  So many people believe, ‘If I had the guy, if I had the girl, I’d be happy and fulfilled,’ and then end up living for, and investing all of their hope and trust in that potential relationship.  And God is clear… [a substitute god] will let us down, if we try to replace Him. 

It’s so vital that we be living for Him; that we not be living with the idea that life starts once you get married, or anything like that.  God has you where you are right now for a purpose.  And you can enjoy that, you can make the most of it, and really be able to look back without regret at this time of your life.”

These inspirational words were from an interview way back in the year 2000; they were spoken by Joshua Harris.  He has veered so far off course today from what he believed in 2000.  First he bad-mouthed the Christian content he had written back then, and then in July of 2019, he went so far as to declare that he himself was not even a Christian anymore. A month later, I blogged about all this.  In part, I quoted a line from “The Wizard of Oz” in reaction; when Dorothy was about to leave Oz, the Tin Man said, “Now I know I have a heart, because it’s breaking.”  I indeed felt heartbroken.

But let me get back to the original quote again.  Because wherever Joshua Harris is spiritually today doesn’t really have any effect on his words back in 2000.  I’ve lived enough life now to know that Joshua was right all those years ago.  A substitute god of any kind will always let you down.  Jesus said that He is the “true vine” (John 15:1), and thus anything else that we try to put in His place is doomed to fail.  Marriage, a romantic relationship, or children are gifts from God, but if try to put them in the center of our universe, rather than God, that’s when it becomes idolatry.

Let me conclude by speaking of Joshua Harris’ announcement 5 years ago.  As I said, it broke my heart.  I look at him with compassion.  I pray for him.  I wish someone would tell him that the God he once eloquently proclaimed stands ready to embrace and forgive him.  As the old hymn puts it, God’s grace “will pardon and cleanse within”; it is “greater than all our sin.”  Joel 2:13 reads, “So rend your heart, and not your garments, and return to the Lord your God.  For He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness; and He relents from doing harm.”  That’s a word for anyone who has strayed away from the Lord.

God bless,

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment