Tuesday, March 12, 2024

My story (Part 1)

I recently went to a church event where we had an opportunity to share a brief testimony of how we became a follower of Christ.  It was to be very short; an “elevator pitch” if you will (I felt a little bit like I was back in public speaking class, but it was fun!).  My speech was a lot like what I wrote last time in this blog – although I did leave out the “Spider-Man 2” content.

Like I did here, I began by speaking of coming to Christ at a Billy Graham crusade, but that was just me being put on the team.  Then I began to describe some of the trials that have hit me in the last 18 months; and I did mention my dad’s unexpected passing in 2015 too.  Ultimately, I gave God the glory, not just to survive these ordeals, but even thrive in them, oddly enough (I’ll flesh that sentence out in a future blog, Lord willing). 

The idea was to ask the group for feedback as to how to sharpen the presentation.  So when it came time for feedback of my speech, someone asked if I really had come to Christ at 6 years old.  This wasn’t asked out of doubt or disbelieve, apparently I just hadn’t made this point clear, at least in this person’s mind.  It taught me an important lesson: I can take this part of my story for granted.  You see, I know beyond a doubt that this is where I began my relationship with the Lord; however, if I ever did give an “elevator pitch” to someone, I need to make it abundantly clear that, in 1987, I truly became a follower of Christ.  This realization inspired me to share this with you today. 

As I pondered all of this, I was reminded of an interview that Rebecca St. James once had.  This past Friday, March 8, was International Women’s Day, so it’s fitting that I bring up the Australian born woman that has had such an impact on my life, and many, many others as well.  In that interview, Rebecca shared that she came to Christ at age 8, and subsequently dedicated all her gifts and talents to God, at age 12.  The host commented that children are quite able to make important, spiritual decisions; they know more than we realize.  Parents and guardians do not necessarily need to wait until their young person gets older.

Let me come at this at another angle.  It was Dr. Adrian Rogers who pointed out something that I think is so helpful with this subject matter.  He said rather than concentrating so much on the alleged profession of faith way back when, look instead at the fruit of the person’s life today.  Jesus gave these powerful words in Matthew 7: “Do men gather grapes from thorn bushes or figs from thistles?  Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit” (verses 17-18).  So in my case, I wouldn’t just point to an experience that happened almost 4 decades ago – as important a day as that was for me – I would point to the fruit I’m bearing now.  Yes, I am saying that I bear fruit, all for God’s glory!

By stating this, you are not hearing me declare that I’ve arrived spiritually, or that I’m sinless and perfect.  The Bible actually tells us if we make such a statement, we are deceived “and the truth is not in us” (1 John 1:8).  The truth is I struggle every single day.  But, at the same time, I also live every day endeavoring to please my Heavenly Father.  Let me give you a candid example of this…

Not that long ago, someone asked me about the gold ring I wear on my right hand.  I explained that this was an outward expression of my inner conviction to not have sex until marriage.  This person had put it all together: since I remain very single, standing before them was a virgin, in their 40’s.  Do I know something about sexual passion boiling underneath the surface?  Believe me, if anyone knows about it, I do!  But the Bible states to hold off expressing that passion until married life (see 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8 for just one example).  In that same interview I brought up earlier, Rebecca St. James eloquently stated that we live in a culture that tells us, “You can do whatever you want, with whomever, at whatever time.  ‘Just do it.’  But they’re not talking about the consequences.”  Amen, Rebecca!  Better to do it God’s way.

God bless,

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment