Monday, May 28, 2012

Heroes among us

Today is Memorial Day, 2012.  As you see from my last blog entry, heroism is an important topic to me.  I love seeing Superman, Batman, Spider-Man or Captain America swoop in and save the day.  Incidentally, I don’t think it’s wrong to be inspired by an act of heroism even if it is portrayed by a fictional character.  That said, it’s one thing to see heroism depicted in the movies and on TV, but it’s quite another to contemplate the fact that are real life heroes among us.  That’s why Memorial Day has a special place in my heart. 

It’s amazing for me to contemplate that there are men and women – people that I’ve never met – that died in an effort to protect the freedoms that I, as an American citizen, enjoy.  These folks have my utmost respect and admiration.  It’s humbling to ponder the brave, noble, and courageous men and women who gave their all for their country.  These men and women are real heroes.  

My mind and heart also goes out to the families of those who gave their lives in service of the United States of America.  I don't know this firsthand, but I would imagine that this is probably a bittersweet day for you.  In one sense, you are proud of their service for the country, but at the same time, you also have a gnawing sense of sadness on a daily basis for your departed loved one and that is only intensified as you are reminded anew of the ultimate sacrifice that they made.  I want you to know that I respect and admire the great sacrifices you have made; you are a hero as well.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment