Saturday, August 10, 2013

A good lesson for us all

On August 5th, Sesame Street uploaded a you tube video of Cookie Monster that I wanted to briefly talk about today.

Believe it or not, Cookie Monster comes upon a plate of hot, fresh, cookies. Rather than devour them immediately, as would be expected, he starts singing about how he wants to eat the cookies, but “self-control is something me must do” and he resolves to declare over and over in a catchy song: “Me want it, but me wait.”

I was very impressed with Sesame Street’s moral, wholesome (and Biblical) message to choose to wait and exercise self-control rather than indulge in immediate gratification. I applaud them for teaching children this very important lesson.

You know as well as I do, however, that it’s easy to say “I’m going to wait” but it’s another thing entirely to practice it and live it out on a daily basis. Especially if the thing that you have been waiting for turns from hours, to days, days turn to years, and in some cases, years perhaps even turns to decades. In short, it’s not easy to wait. But I’ve always been encouraged by Isaiah 64:4: “Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him” (NIV, italics mine for emphasis).

If you are interested, that Cookie Monster song I’ve mentioned today can be found at you tube.com, just type in “Me Want It (But Me Wait).” It’s a good song. Every time I hear it, the song sticks in my head. And considering the great message associated with it, I’d say that’s a good thing.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment