Monday, August 19, 2013

My life is not my own

I think I’ve previously told you that I wear a gold ring on the third finger of my right hand that says “true love waits” on it. It’s an outward symbol of my inner conviction to remain sexually pure until married life. Incidentally, sexual abstinence isn’t my main point today, but I do want to say that this subject matter is something that the culture finds archaic, outdated, and inhumane. But that doesn’t matter; sexual purity until marriage (and sexual fidelity within marriage) is something the Bible teaches. Therefore, it is something that the Christian should live out, by God’s grace and power, even if it is laughed at and mocked today. Once again, that’s a subject for another day.

I love the animated movie “Green Lantern: Emerald Knights” for many reasons, but high on the list is that it has a line in it that I just love.  A seasoned Green Lantern is mentoring a new recruit. In the fictitious world where they reside, there are thousands of Green Lanterns that patrol all the sectors of the galaxy. In one scene of the film, this new wise Green Lantern says to the trainee, “Once you put on the ring [that is to say, when you become a Green Lantern] the life you live stops being your own.”

Ever since I first saw this movie all those months ago, I have often looked at the purity ring that I mentioned that I wear, and I will hear that Green Lantern’s words in my head: “Once you put on the ring, the life you live stops being your own.” This line is applicable to everyone who is a Christian. I suppose I could paraphrase that Green Lantern’s words in this way: “Whenever anyone puts their faith and trust in Jesus for salvation, the life they live stops being their own.”

Why do I say this? Well, the Bible says, “You are not your own; you were bought with a price, therefore glorify God with your body” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20; NIV). Romans 12:1 puts it this way: “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship.”

To be clear: this is about more than just being sexually pure. That’s certainly one practical application, but it encompasses more than just that one subject. It means choosing to live for God, not ourselves. It means living a life dedicated to honoring and glorifying God. 2 Corinthians 5:15 reads: “And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.” In his book “The Way I Was Made” Chris Tomlin writes, "We were created to shine the spotlight on God."

It is the goal of my life to live in this way. I want to “shine the spotlight on God.” I want to honor and glorify God, not myself. I want to live for God’s pleasure and delight. This certainly doesn’t mean that I’m perfect and sinless, because I am not. I make sinful mistakes like everyone else, but it’s still my heart’s desire to live for God. And I want to encourage you to do the same, because you’ll never regret it.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment