Monday, June 23, 2014

Discussing my life verse

Hello everyone. I almost feel like I should apologize, but after another month away from this blog, I’m finally back. I try to post something at a minimum of once a week, but lately that hasn’t worked out too well. Life gets busy, and blogging is put on the backburner. I’ve said this before but I have a friend who will announce, “Look, so and so is alive,” after seeing someone who she hasn’t seen for a long time. So, don’t worry; I’m alive!

Today I want to talk about the idea of a life verse. I first heard about this notion when a pastor named Rick Ferguson asked his congregation, by a show of hands, how many people had a life verse. He went on to explain that he meant by the term “life verse” a Bible verse that has become so important to you that you rehearse it nearly every day of your life. He went on to state that his life verse was John 15:5. Rick went home to be with the Lord in 2002 (wow, has it really been that long?), but he left behind a legacy of love, faithfulness, and a commitment to the truth of the Bible.

Returning to the idea of a life verse, I want to share mine. There are, of course, many verses and passages from the Bible that are vitally important to me, but if I had to choose just one as my life verse, I would say it is Proverbs 3:5. Proverbs 3:5 reads, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.”

There are many things in my life that I don’t understand. Further, there are things that I’ve gone through, seasons of life that I’ve had to endure, that have left me perplexed. For example, I mentioned Pastor Rick Ferguson earlier. Rick was only 46 when he died. He was seemingly in the prime of his life, but a car accident ended his time on this Earth. His death hit his congregation very hard (I know; I was part of that congregation).

That’s just one example of the point I’m trying to make. Consider some other examples that we might go through that leave us confused: you feel you are more than qualified for the promotion at work, but instead it goes to someone else. A friend unexpectedly betrays you. Your good health suddenly fades away. That job search seems to go on and on. Your child inexplicably becomes rebellious and defiant.

What are you tempted to do in these situations? You are tempted to lean on your own understanding. God doesn’t offer explanations, and we shouldn’t expect them. His ways are not our ways, and if He were to explain why He permitted this and that it would be beyond our comprehension anyway. He asks us to simply trust Him.

I don’t know what I would do without my firm assurance that God is worthy of my trust. He is the one who is in charge; He knows exactly what He is doing; His way and plan is best. It is the wisest course of action to “trust in the Lord with all your heart” and to “not lean on your own understanding.”

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment