Monday, November 23, 2015

The incredible power of words

Last week, due to a sickness, I lost my voice.  It was interesting to try to go about all my responsibilities while not being able to communicate very well.  When you go through something like this it teaches you not to take fully functioning vocal cords for granted.  Believe me, when you compile your Thanksgiving list of things you are thankful for perhaps you should include be able to speak because it really is a gift.

As I was going through all this, I found an interesting Bible verse from the book of Proverbs.  It reads, “The words of the reckless pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing” (Proverbs 12:18).  It’s such a shame that, although we have such a marvelous gift of speech, we often squander it by speaking words that belittle other people.  Unkind words certainly do pierce like a sword.

The Bible gives us this prescription: “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen” (Ephesians 4:29).  Speak words that encourage, build up, and help others.  In the midst of my unusual week, someone thanked me for my years of service at Chick-fil-A.  I was so encouraged by those words.  I was inspired afresh to use my tongue to edify others, rather than speaking words that demean, belittle and injure.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment