Monday, February 8, 2016

More Super Bowl 50 thoughts

Some of you were probably shocked when I announced a few weeks ago that I wasn’t going to watch Super Bowl 50.  But my reasons for this decision were valid.  I wanted to tell you that I went about my activities yesterday completely oblivious to what was happening in the big game.  That is, until I heard a celebratory firecracker, and I reasoned that Denver must have just won.  It turned out that the firecracker was late in the 4th quarter, when Von Miller had forced a fumble deep in Panthers territory and Denver had recovered.  But even then, I didn’t watch it.  However, to be completely honest, I did watch the last minute, when I saw that Denver had the game in hand.  Then I watched the entire postgame show.

Congratulations Broncos; you are the world champions!  I know it’s easy for me to say now, but trust me, I’m telling you the truth when I say this: in the two weeks leading up to the game, I was declaring to friends, family, and coworkers that when a strong defense plays a strong offense, it’s the defense that usually wins.  It happened two years ago when a high-flying Broncos offense played a strong Seahawks defense.  And it has happened in like manner in other Super Bowls as well.  So why did Denver not have a chance of winning in so many "experts" opinions?  The old adage is defense win championships and it was proven true once again yesterday.

So just how good, historically speaking, is this Broncos defense?  Are they the greatest defense ever?  It’s hard to judge because there have been so many great defenses over the years.  Personally, I don’t think they are the best defense ever (that title will always belong to the 1985 Chicago Bears; second on the list, in my opinion, is the 2000 Baltimore Ravens), but I do think Denver’s defense is in the top 5 of best defenses in NFL history.  At the very least, they are the best defense that the Denver Broncos have ever had.

Incidentally, as I was watching the postgame show, in the midst of that jovial celebration, sadness washed over me.  I suddenly felt how empty the room was.  My dad, who loved the Denver Broncos, wasn’t in the room celebrating this win with me.  Don’t cry for him; he is in perpetual bliss in Heaven with his Lord Jesus.  But I could deeply feel his absence last night.

Some of you may want to say to me, “Kevin, it’s been six months now.  Get over it.”  In response, I say as I kindly as I can that you apparently haven’t lost someone you love.  Clark Kent (who knows what’s it like to lose a father) described it well in an episode from the eighth season of the TV show “Smallville”; he said, it feels like something has been ripped away from you forever.  That doesn’t go away in six months.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment