Thursday, April 4, 2019

"I am counting every blessing"

One point that God has been reinforcing to me is the importance of gratitude.  It is a Biblical idea to practice thanksgiving.  Psalm 100:4 says, “Enter into His courts with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise.  Be thankful to Him and bless His name.”  1 Thessalonians 5:18 tells us, “In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will in Christ Jesus for you.”  Colossians 3:15: “And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which you were called in one body, and be thankful.”

Maybe one of the reasons this idea is presented over and over again in the Bible is because God knows how prone we are to having ingratitude in our hearts.  I know this is true for me.  I get so caught up in the stress, exhaustion, and frustrations of life that I forget about all of the innumerable blessings God has given.  I’m not proud of it; I’m just being honest with you.  The truth is, no matter how bad a day I’m having (or perhaps it’s a bad week), I’m still breathing.  My heart is still beating.  I’m able to eat.  I have family and friends who love me.  I’m going to Heaven one day.  God is on the throne.  And on and on the list goes.

The group Rend Collective has a memorable song along the same lines of this subject.  In their song Counting Every Blessing, they sing words that I can identify with: “You were there in the valley of shadows; You were there in the depth of my sorrows.  You’re my strength, my hope for tomorrow.  I’ve been blessed beyond all measure.  I am counting every blessing, counting every blessing.  Letting go and trusting when I cannot see.  I am counting every blessing, counting every blessing.  Surely every season, You are good to me” (you can find the lyrics at this link)

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment