Tuesday, February 2, 2021

"Sing of my Redeemer"

Recently, I had a fascinating conversation with a coworker at my job at Chick-fil-A.  It probably would be better stated to call it a divine appointment.  In a moment of downtime, a guy who loves to talk and make conversation called my name.  His initial question was, “You’re a Christian, right?”  I answered yes.  In a respectful and curious tone, he simply asked me, “why?”  I wish this conversation was transcribed, but as near as I can remember it, without any thought, I just answered with these words:

“Because I’m a sinner in need of a Savior.  No matter how hard I try, I can’t save myself.  I need someone to do for me what I can’t do for myself: I need someone to forgive me of my sins.  Jesus is God.  He paid the price for my sin.  I am trusting in Him.”  When a guy like this coworker of mine is at a loss for words, you must have said something noteworthy!  He just kept silently processing what was said.  Finally, he said something like, “Very interesting!”

There are several different ways I could go after sharing such a memorable incident with you.  But, first and foremost, I give all the glory to God for that answer.  Jesus once said, “do not worry about how or what you should speak.  For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.” (Matthew 10:19-20).  Furthermore, as I was putting all this together, I was reminded of an old hymn.  It captures my heart of gratitude and worship to God: “Sing, O sing, of my Redeemer.  With His blood, He purchased me; on the cross, He sealed my pardon, paid the debt and made me free!”  

Second, I think some would be surprised that I brought up sin.  I was just being honest.  I’ve been a Christian since a boy of 6 years old.  And yet I still sin.  I hate that I do so, but it’s undeniable.  The Bible says, “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us” (1 John 1:8).  And then, with that as the context, we read the familiar words of verse 9:

“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”  To be clear: a Christian is to grow in Christ-likeness, righteousness, and holiness, as well as to fight against sin.  I’m not suggesting otherwise.  But I also know I will have an inherent sin problem until I breathe my last breath on this Earth, and go to Heaven.   

This particular conversation with my coworker eventually turned to him inquiring if my parents were Christians as well.  This is a common response; whenever God has opened a door for me to have this kind of dialogue with others, the subject of a parent’s faith seems to come up.  While I affirmed my parent’s Christian faith to him – and I am grateful for their example – it’s not particularly relevant to the discussion. 

I didn’t get the chance to bring this up point with my coworker, but I’ve used this illustration in the past.  Incidentally, as this month is the 5-year anniversary of the Denver Broncos winning Super Bowl 50, it seems all the more fitting for me to give the following illustration:

If you were to see a toddler in Denver Broncos apparel, as cute as he/she may be that child had no say in his apparel; he isn’t actually a fan of the Broncos.  But consider this: after the child grows up, they may decide to follow the Broncos, but they may not.  What I’m getting at is it’s a matter of their individual choice, not their parent’s prior commitment.  The same principle goes for their faith or lack thereof in Christ.  As someone memorably put it: “God has no grandchild.”

Kevin  

No comments:

Post a Comment