Monday, July 25, 2022

"It's the best news ever"

After what I said last time about putting one’s faith and trust in Jesus, it occurred to me that I needed to give a separate blog on why this is so incredibly vital.  The website got questions.org has an excellent article that I want to begin with (which can be found in its entirety here https://www.gotquestions.org/get-right-with-God.html)  

“In order to get “right” with God, we must first understand what is “wrong.”  The answer is sin.  “There is no one who does good, not even one” (Psalm 14:3).  We have rebelled against God’s commands; we “like sheep, have gone astray” (Isaiah 53:6).  The bad news is that the penalty for sin is death.  “The soul who sins is the one who will die” (Ezekiel 18:4).  The good news is that a loving God has pursued us in order to bring us salvation.  Jesus declared His purpose was “to seek and to save what was lost” (Luke 19:10), and He pronounced His purposed accomplished when He died on the cross with the words, “It is finished!” (John 19:30).

Having a right relationship with God begins with acknowledging your sin.  Next comes a humble confession of your sin to God (Isaiah 57:15).  “For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved” (Romans 10:10).  This repentance must be accompanied by faith – specifically, faith that Jesus’ sacrificial death and miraculous resurrection qualify Him to be your Savior.  “If you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9).”

The first time I heard the phrase “quid pro quo” it was on the CW TV show “The Flash” (a show that I haven’t spoken of for a while, but it is still good, even in its 8th season).  The phrase was on the lips of the Reverse-Flash – A.K.A. Eobard Thawne (The Flash’s arch-enemy).  He explained that “quid pro quo” is a Latin phrase that basically means ‘if you do this for me, I will do this for you.’  Thawne was about to propose a deal with someone else, because he wanted something in return from them.  I believe many people have the notion of “quid pro quo” with God. 

They think God is saying to them, “If you give money to the church, perform good works, live a moral life, jump through this religious hoop and that one, then I will forgive you and accept you.”  That’s not the gospel!  The gospel says, Jesus already did all the work; therefore, based on faith and trust in Him, and what He did for us on the cross, forgiveness and reconciliation with God is given as a free gift.

In 2017, Mercy Me released a song called “Best news ever”.  I want to quote the whole song, but instead, check this one line out: “Some say, ‘He’s keeping score; so try hard, then try a little more.’  But hold up: if this were to true, explain to me what the cross is for!  What if I were the one to tell you, that the fight’s already been won…the work’s already been done?  It’s not good news; it’s the best news ever.” 

Someone wants to say, “Yes, this is all good, but I’ve already put my faith in Christ.”  Amen!  I say the same thing for myself.  But I’ve learned that I need the gospel every day.  Jesus paid the price for all my sins, including the sin I commit after becoming His child.  It’s so important to keep short accounts with Him; I need to ask for forgiveness on a daily basis.  You see, my heart is “prone to wander” as the old hymn puts it.  I need to return to the safe confines of Jesus’ love, forgiveness, and protection.  And when I do that, a Heavenly joy fills my heart and soul.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment