Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My September 11th blog post

Today is obviously September 11th, a day now forever associated with the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001. A part of me doesn’t want to bring up that painful day, but it’s on a lot of people’s minds today anyway, so here I am.

I think everyone will remember where they were on 9/11. I certainly remember where I was. As I have mentally put myself back to the events of that day, I have to say that I vividly remember all the various emotions that I felt.

Sometime in the days that followed 9/11, I wrote “September 11th, 2001” next to a passage in the book of Psalms.  Specifically that passage was Psalm 27:1-3, which reads, “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked come against me to eat up my flesh, my enemies and my foes, they stumbled and fell. Though an army may encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war may rise against me, in this I will be confident.”

As comforting as those words from the Bible were for me back then, they are equally as comforting to me today. There is a lot in the world today that can cause our hearts to become troubled and afraid. Just watch the news and you’ll get an endless barrage of things to become fearful and anxious over. There is also a lot in our personal world’s that can cause anxiety and trepidation. You can fill in the blank on this one. Sickness, an unexpected death in the family, job loss, on and on I could go.

I know in my own life I struggle with trying circumstances that can cause my heart to fear. But even in the midst of it all, there’s a refuge that I run to that is faithful and true; a refuge that never lets me down. I’m referring, of course, to God Himself. Psalm 46:1 says, “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.”

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment