Sunday, March 9, 2014

A case study on servanthood

The other day I heard pieces of a sermon by Pastor Ed Taylor. He was talking about servanthood. He mentioned how, in Biblical times, there were some servants who willingly chose to live out their lives in faithful service to their master. They certainly could have lived a life catering to their own whims, aspirations, and desires, but instead, they voluntarily chose to yield those rights and live in humble service to the master they loved.

As I was listening to this, my mind went to a fictional character that epitomizes this type of servant. I thought of Alfred from the Batman stories. This is, of course, Bruce Wayne/Batman’s butler. It’s remarkable to stop and think about all the ways that Alfred assists Bruce. Alfred may be asked to do important research, or to send a tool to Bruce he needs while chasing criminals. Or perhaps Bruce just needs someone to talk to and so he turns to his faithful servant; in all these instances, Alfred dutifully obeys.

Some might look at Alfred and say that he is wasting his life, but how does he feel about his life in this role? Oddly enough, the answer comes in the movie “Batman and Robin.” This is ironic because this film is regarded as possibly the worst superhero movie that has ever been created. While I agree with that assessment, there is one fantastic scene in this film that has always stood out to me.

One of the storylines in the film is that Alfred falls gravely ill, and is nearing death. While ultimately he does survive, Bruce still wants to take the opportunity to ask Alfred a question that has evidently been bothering him. He asks, “Alfred, have you ever regretted your life? Working here?” “Looking after heroes?” Alfred answers. “No sir. My only regret is I was never able to be out there with you.”

I want to be like Alfred. Contemplating his selfless example inspires me afresh to keep on serving God. It is true that choosing to live a life in service to another isn’t a life filled with fanfare, renown, or adulation. To the contrary, this is a modest, hidden, obscure life. But ask me at the end of my life and, like Alfred, I will emphatically declare that I never regretted living my life in devotion and service to my Master.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment