Friday, December 26, 2014

"It is more blessed to give than to receive"

In Acts 20, the Apostle Paul quotes a sentiment from Jesus.  He says, “In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work, we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive’” (verse 35).  Jesus is right (obviously!); there is an inherent blessing in taking your eyes off of yourself, putting them on others, and choosing to give. 

Moreover, it’s enjoyable to give.  The department store Dillard’s correctly declared in their recent slogan, “Oh what fun it is to give!”  It really is fun to give.  I can testify to you (and I say this to God’s glory): I have experienced the blessing of giving to others. There is a certain thrill, bliss, delight, and pleasure found in being a generous giver.
 
Let me add one last thing.  Some people give, but it is with the expectation that they will receive as a reward.  They state, “Let me give you this, but you owe me one.”  In my view, this is not selfless giving.  Truett Cathy once said, “I have always found more joy in giving when I did not expect anything in return.”  I can echo that for myself.  Don’t give with ulterior motives or a hidden agenda.  Give for the sheer joy of giving.  If you receive something back one day, so be it, but give selflessly.  I think it’s much more enjoyable that way.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment