Sunday, March 27, 2016

My 2016 resurrection Sunday blog

There’s a lot of confusion regarding why we celebrate Easter.  I was reminded on this fact when I was at retail store and I saw an advertisement that stated that giving and thankfulness is what Easter is all about.  It’s great to give to others, the same goes for being thankful, but they have nothing to do with this importance of this day.  Further, Easter isn’t about a cute little bunny.  What, then, is Easter about?  Well, I called this my “resurrection Sunday” blog.  I did this because Easter celebrates the fact that Jesus Christ, the One who gave His life as a sacrifice for sin, didn’t stay in the grave after that noble act; He conquered death itself.  The resurrection of Jesus isn’t a fable or a fun story; it is an undeniable historical fact.
 
Why is Jesus’ resurrection so important?  Let me answer that by asking you to imagine this scene with me.  Suppose six months before he entered into his Heavenly reward, my dad called a family meeting and he said, “Here’s the deal: in six months, I’m going to die.  But God told me three days after my death, I’m going to be resurrected.”  And then suppose, three months later, he called everyone together once again, and made the same announcement.  And then he articulated it again a couple of months later.  The day came, and he passed away, but his body remained in the grave.  As time marched on, it became abundantly clear that his prediction was wrong.  We would be left to conclude that my dad was a liar, or delusional, right?  After all, he predicted an impending resurrection, but it didn’t happen.

Please don’t misunderstand me on this one.  The truth is, my dad didn’t know he was going to pass away that day.  Even in his last hours on Earth, he didn’t have the faintest notion.  I really believe that he was as surprised as everyone else was at his sudden homecoming to Heaven.  Furthermore, Dad certainly didn’t predict that he was going to rise from the dead in three days.  I said all this to illustrate a point: while my dad didn’t predict an imminent resurrection, Jesus Christ did.  Read the gospels for yourself.  You will see that on more than one occasion Jesus told His disciples that He was going to die, and He told them that He was going to rise from the dead.  If it’s not true, Jesus was nothing more than a liar, or delusional.

There’s more to this discussion.  Not only did Jesus predict His resurrection, the Old Testament also predicted that the foretold Messiah was going to rise from the dead.  Psalm 16:10, for example, says, “You will not leave me in the place of the dead, nor will you let your faithful one see decay.”  In this Messianic Psalm, the author was prophesying that the Coming One will not be left in the grave to experience decay.  Interestingly, in Acts 2, Peter quotes from this very Psalm in his sermon.  I’m paraphrasing, but basically he says, “David, the human author of this Psalm, remains in the grave to this day.  He isn’t speaking of himself.  He is speaking of Jesus Christ, who died, and is now alive forevermore.  We are witnesses of this fact!”

Isaiah 53 contains another Old Testament instance of Jesus’ resurrection.  Let me give you the context on this one.  In verse 8, Isaiah predicts Jesus’ death; verse 9 speaks of Jesus’ burial, and then in verse 10 we read these words: “But He will still see His descendants and live a long life.”  Then in the next verse, Isaiah 53:11, it states, “After His soul suffers many things, He will see life and be satisfied” (NCV).  My point here is these Old Testament verses (and others like them) speak of Jesus’ resurrection.  If it didn’t happen, it calls into question the reliability of the Scriptures.

Why is Jesus’ resurrection important?  It’s important for many reasons.  But one of the fundamental reasons is if Jesus’ resurrection didn’t happen, then He is a delusional liar, and a religious charlatan that is not to be trusted.  Furthermore, the Bible would be unreliable.  Both in the Old and New Testament, it asserts that the Messiah was going to taste death, but that He would subsequently conquer it.  If that didn’t happen, the Bible isn’t accurate, and therefore, is not to be trusted.  But, as I said back at the beginning, the resurrection is a historical fact.  Opponents have tried to suppress and disprove it for centuries, but no one has – and no one will.  Trust Jesus; He is the Truth (John 14:6).  Trust the Bible; it is wholly reliable.  Jesus Christ is risen; He is risen indeed!

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment