Thursday, March 31, 2016

My first Easter without Dad

I decided to share a second Easter themed blog.  More specifically, I wanted to document what kind of holiday I had.  I do this because writing has been very therapeutic for me; it has helped me grieve.  But I also do it because it occurred to me that this season may be hard for you as well.  Maybe you lost your dad this year, or your mom, or your spouse.  I wanted to share this content with you because I’m hopeful it will help you grieve.

So how was my Easter?  The word I have used over and over again is bittersweet.  The dictionary defines the word bittersweet as “both bitter and sweet; pleasant and sad.”  It was a bittersweet Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, and even the Super Bowl (which is basically a universal holiday).  The trend continued for Easter too.  There was happiness, but it was mingled with sadness.

On these special days, it can feel like you are on an emotional roller coaster ride.  The moments of grief and sadness hit you without warning.  For instance, in my Easter church service, I happened to look over and see a teenage girl with her family; I noticed that her father had his arm around her.  It hit me afresh that my dad isn’t here to protect, help, and affirm me anymore.  This doesn’t just happen on holidays, either.  For example, not long ago, I was watching a TV show.  A dad was proud of his adult son for something, and he vocalized this pride by saying, “That’s my boy.”  Without warning, grief washed over me.  My dad spoke to me with that same kind of encouraging tone.  It was a reminder that my life has been irrevocably changed.

By the way, let me share this bit of advice with you.  Perhaps it's a little bit of a rabbit trail, but let me throw it in for no extra charge.  It’s healthy to grieve.  Don’t be ashamed of it, and don’t let others look down on you for it.  To grieve is to give testimony to the bond you had with your loved one.  As my brother, Mark, once put it, “The only reason we grieve is because we love.”  If you didn’t love the person, why would you grieve them?  The deeper the love you shared, the deeper the grief.  So embrace the grieving process in all its fullness.

Let me conclude on a hopeful note.  There’s a reason that I decided to write this on the heels of Easter.  Easter is a glorious event because it is the day that Jesus Christ showed that He really is “the resurrection and the life” just as He proclaimed to a grief-stricken Martha (John 11:25).  I have seen death up close and personally.  I’m well aware of how it is emotional, gut-wrenching, and intense.  I’ve described its aftermath in my own life again today.  So, please understand, I’m not minimizing the legitimate pain of losing someone you love.  But I do know that, the truth of the matter is, Jesus has defeated death.  I agree with an article from got questions.org.  In a question on how a believer can find comfort in the death of a parent, the author writes these words:

“In the loss of a Christian parent, the greatest comfort a believer has is the hope and confidence that our relationship with our parents does not end at death.  A Christian who has lost a Christian parent can rest in the promise that there will be a reunion in heaven.  At the time of the resurrection, all who have accepted Christ will be glorified and given incorruptible bodies (1 Corinthians 15:42-44; John 11:25).  For the Christian, Christ has conquered death!”


I like how Nicol Sponberg put it in an article of Our Daily Bread.  She stated that before she experienced the pain of unexpectedly losing her child to SIDS, she never had to, as she puts it, “sit on that truth [of Heaven].  I never had to put stock on it until a piece of us was there.”  That’s the best way I can think of to describe it for me as well.  One day I will have a glorious reunion with my dad.  

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment