Saturday, July 23, 2016

My "ongoing tribute"

In an episode of the show, “Justice League” Superman is presumed dead after a battle with some formidable enemies (he is later discovered to be alive; he is Superman after all).  After the events of this fight, the rest of the episode focuses on the grief, pain, and sadness that Superman’s apparent death inflicted on everyone in his sphere of influence.

In the gripping scene of Superman’s funeral, one of his allies gave a poignant and eloquent speech about his friend.  I have thought of these words periodically this year as I contemplate the fact that my dad is no longer being with us.  Here are his beautiful words of respect to Superman:

“Though we gather here today bound together in sorrow and loss, we share a precious gift.  We are all of us privileged to live a life that has been touched by Superman. 

The Man of Steel possessed many extraordinary gifts, and he shared them with us freely.  None of these gifts were more remarkable than his ability to discern what needed to be done, and his unfailing courage in doing it, whatever the personal cost.

Let us all strive to accept his gift, and pass it along as an ongoing tribute to Kal-El of Krypton.  The immigrant from the stars who taught us all how to be heroes.”

Every time we have gone to the graveside, I have placed a card with Superman’s ‘S’ emblem on the front of it in the dirt next to his marker.  On one occasion, on the inside of the card I wrote, “Jerry Bauer, my dad, Superman.”  The fact that I gave him this designation makes the touching words of tribute to Superman in the above quote all the most emotional to me.
 
I wish I would have had the thought to read those beautiful words of tribute at my dad’s funeral service.  But I’m grateful that I can share them with you today and forever have them in the records of this blog.  Tears come to my eyes when I read Superman’s ally say, “We are all of us privileged to live a life that has been touched by Superman.”  Similarly, everyone who knew my dad shared a gift, a privilege, of knowing him.  He, like Superman, touched so many lives in a positive way.

But I think the section I love the most in that quote is when he speaks of striving to honor the memory of Superman by passing his unselfish example to others as an “ongoing tribute” to Kal-El, the Man of Steel.  In reference to my dad, I want to honor his memory, character, and life by following in his footsteps.  It is my “ongoing tribute” to Dad.  My father was loving, humble, kind, forgiving, and he was the most unselfish person I’ve ever known.  Why shouldn’t I follow in his footsteps?  Why shouldn’t I attempt to emulate the Superman-like example of my dad?

Kevin  

No comments:

Post a Comment