Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Reflections on life, loss, and legacy

Before I dive in, let me express a personal word to you.  I am quite frustrated that I’m not able to spend more time writing blogs.  As you see in the sidebar, I have only written 38 blogs this year.  That’s close to my record low of production in this blog (in 2012 I only wrote 41 blogs).  The lack of content doesn’t imply that I don’t care about blogging anymore; I do care.  But I carry a lot of my dad’s responsibilities since his passing.  First and foremost, this includes taking care of my mom.  I wanted to document this fact.  I wanted you to understand my frustration.  With that stated, let’s move on.

One of the interesting components during the grieving process is, at night, you can dream about your dearly departed loved one.  I’m not an expert on dreams, but apparently, the subconscious brain remembers the way life used to be.  I’ve had a few of this particular sort of dream of late.  I was with my dad, spending time with him, as if nothing had happened.  The dream is happy, but when you wake up from such a dream, you remember afresh the present reality of life.  You remember again the magnitude of the loss, and just how drastically the landscape of your life has changed.

While it’s true that my dad is no longer with us (the Bible says, for the believer in Jesus Christ, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord), there is a very real sense that he will never be gone.  Let me try to explain what I mean with a story of something that happened to me at my work at Chick-fil-A:

The other day, I was complimented for the way I took orders on what we call headset; this is the device that we wear to communicate with cars that pull up at the drive-thru speaker.  I was told that I greeted each car as if the customer was my best friend.  I thanked the person and said that I inherited my dad’s radio voice.  At one point in the conversation, this customer commented that it’s not just the voice; it’s also the heart.  She then asked this captivating question: “Did you inherit your dad’s heart?”  My answer, in part, was that my dad was very selfless, and I want to follow in his footsteps.

My dad’s example lives on.  I will strive to follow his unselfish example.   I will strive to live my life selflessly, as he did.  I will strive to follow his legacy of humility, love for others, honorable ethics, integrity, and faith in God.  The saying is “like father, like son.”  Of course, in some cases, a son has to make his own path because the father’s life wasn’t worthy of emulating.  But that’s not the situation here.  In my case, I am honored to take the baton my dad has passed on to me.  Or, as I put it to that dear customer, I want to follow in his footsteps.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment