Saturday, December 24, 2016

Even in heartache, "I have a hope"

I want to highlight a phrase from my dad’s prayer that I shared last time.  He said, “This is the hardest season for many people, because of their circumstances.”  He’s right.  Speaking for myself, this time of year is tough because it reminds me afresh that my dad is no longer with us.  While I’m certainly glad that Dad gets to enjoy eternal bliss in Heaven, he is missed here.  The grief continues.

I am now acutely aware of instances of loss.  Because of the news, social media, or simple word of mouth, I hear about events of loss seemingly every day.  For some, this is their first Christmas without their parent, spouse, child, sibling, best friend, or grandparent.  You can’t see it, but these people are essentially walking around with a hole in their heart.

And then, of course, there is the pain, heartache, and anguish that many are feeling that may not involve a loved one passing away, but suffering is still an inescapable fact of their life, nevertheless.  Some are dealing with deteriorating health, job loss, slander, escalating family conflict, or broken dreams.  Furthermore, to quote from my dad’s prayer again, there’s also the “lonely, and the brokenhearted.”  For so many, this is not a time of fun and games.
    
However, there is hope.  I was recently listening to a Christmas CD by the group Selah.  In a song entitled simply “Joy”, the group says to God, “You gave us reason to see past the pain of today; we celebrate.”  That reason is Jesus Christ.  A line came to my mind from a song that I sang years ago at a church: “I have a hope, and my hope has a Name.”  It’s true!  No matter what the suffering, Jesus is the reason to celebrate this season.

This Christmas, despite the pain and heartache, I celebrate Jesus Christ.  I celebrate how Jesus was born to die on a cross for my sin and your sin.  I celebrate how Jesus obtained salvation, forgiveness, and reconciliation with God.  As one Christmas song puts it, “Hark! The herald angel sing, glory to the newborn King…God and sinners reconciled.”  There is no greater gift than to remember afresh that, because of Jesus, I have a right relationship with God.

I know this blog is longer than usual, but I cannot end without expressing one last thought.  Someone may assume that because Jesus died on the cross for all of humanity (this is true), all of humanity is therefore in a right relationship with God (this is false).  No, Jesus’ offer of reconciliation with God is available for anyone and everyone, but you have to take it, as you would take any gift.  John 1:12 says, “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed on his name, he gave the right to become children of God.”  If you’ve never taken this important step, please do it today; what better time to do so than this Christmas season?

Kevin 

No comments:

Post a Comment