Thursday, November 23, 2017

An important maxim - Thanksgiving 2017

“Gratitude changes attitude.”  That’s the statement that I recently heard from a Christian radio announcer.  Haven’t you found that statement to be true?  I certainly have.  The more I choose gratitude, the more my attitude changes from a grumbling, complaining disposition to one of happiness and thankfulness.

The Bible says, “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones” (Proverbs 18:22).  You say, “But you don’t know about my life.  You don’t know the pain, anguish, and heartache that I’m going through.”  I may not know your specific details, but I certainly know what it’s like to have the pressures of life hit you, and weigh you down.  I’m acutely aware of how intensely painful life can be.  But over and over again we read in the Bible to be thankful (see, for example, Colossians 3:15-17 that mentions this notion in every verse).

God’s prescription is to choose gratitude over grumbling.  I was recently in a church service where the pastor stated it this way: the more thankful you are, the happier you become; conversely, the more ingratitude you have, the unhappier you become.  The football, food, family and friends are an enjoyable part of this day.  But even in the midst of these activities, it is possible to be miserable, if a disposition of ungratefulness is chosen.  But remember: “Gratitude changes attitude.”  We can choose thankfulness.  We can choose gratitude for the abundance of blessings that God has given us.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kevin    

No comments:

Post a Comment