Sunday, November 26, 2017

Blogs of Christmas past #1 - Mary's faith

In an effort to help us get into the Christmas spirit, I’ve decided that I’m going to share several Christmas themed blogs that I’ve written in previous years.  For today, I want to relay a blog that I wrote back in 2013 regarding Mary, the special woman that God used to deliver the Savior of the world.

Before I do, let me share this as I continue my introductory thoughts.  On Thanksgiving Day, I watched a movie cinematically capturing an Old Testament book in the Bible.  Overall, I thought it was done well.  One could nitpick about a minor detail here and there, but by and large, it was enjoyable and faith-building for me.  But I was disappointed when, at the end of the credits, I read these words: “The persons and events in this motion picture are fictitious.”  I don’t know why these words were in the credits, but whatever the rationale was, that message was absolutely wrong. The persons and events in the Old Testament – and the New Testament – are real, not mythical characters that someone dreamed up. 

Furthermore, Mary is a real woman who once literally walked on planet Earth.  Joseph is a real man that existed in history, just as surely as Abraham Lincoln did.  Jesus is a real figure from history, not a fictional character.  With that stated, here is what I wrote that day:

‘In the gospel of Luke, chapter 1, we read that an angel named Gabriel (verse 26) announces to Mary, “You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus” (verse 31).  The angel goes on to speak of how Jesus will be called the Son of the Most High (verse 32).  God will give Him the throne of David and He will rule in a never-ending kingdom (verse 33).  But Mary’s mind can’t think that far ahead.  She’s still stuck on a question that she finally vocalizes.  “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin” (Luke 1:34)?

At this point, Mary was engaged to be married to a man named Joseph, but clearly they were not sexually active to this point.  Mary says, “Wait a minute!  Time out!  A pregnancy is the result of sexual reproduction, and my fiancé and I haven’t done that.  So how is it even possible that I’m going to be pregnant in the first place?”  Gabriel answers that the Holy Spirit will “overshadow” her (verse 35).  He adds this in verse 37, “For nothing is impossible with God.”  Mary responds with exemplary faith in God: “I am the Lord’s servant.  May it be to me as you have said” (verse 38).  Mary says, “You say that God has a plan, and that I have a part to play; count me in.”

Some people read this account and they come away with skepticism.  They ask: “how can a virgin supposedly give birth to a child?”  The answer is this: because the God of the Bible is the God of the impossible (Luke 1:37).  I wholeheartedly believe in the notion a literal virgin named Mary giving birth to Jesus.  Why?  Because the God I worship and serve is an amazing God who can perform miracles that are humanly impossible.

Once again, I love Mary’s response: “I am the Lord’s servant.  May it be to me as you have said” (Luke 1:38).  She could have said, “Before you go, I have a few more questions: first, what exactly do you mean that the Holy Spirit will “overshadow” me?  What am I supposed to tell my parents, or Joseph?”  She could have asked for a detailed explanation, but she chose to put her faith and trust in God and His plan.  I want to be like Mary.  I want to trust in God, even though I still have lingering questions.’

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment