Tuesday, January 29, 2019

My take on the Rams-Saints game

I’m planning to give my annual Super Bowl prediction in a future blog (even though I confess I do so reluctantly as I have been terrible in my predictions for the past several years).  Before I do that however, I want to address the controversy associated with the NFC championship game between the Los Angeles Rams and the New Orleans Saints. 

I have heard some say that the Rams don’t deserve to be in the Super Bowl because there was a missed pass interference call late in the 4th quarter against the Rams that would have essentially cemented the win for the Saints.  Right off the bat let me state that I like both the Rams and the Saints; there is no personal bias on my part.  I am an impartial observer.  Secondly, I agree that this was a missed pass interference call.  The replay makes this clear.  But I do not believe for a second that this blown pass interference play cost the Saints the game.  Let me elaborate.

The setting of this controversial play is as follows: the game was tied 20-20.  The Saints were driving.  The Saints player was interfered with, but it wasn’t called (which, by the way, is something that happens in every NFL game), so the Saints had to settle for a field goal.  The score was 23-20 New Orleans.  The Rams began their ensuing possession at their own 25 yard line with about a minute and a half to go in the game.  All New Orleans had to do was stop Los Angeles from scoring to ensure the win.  Instead the Rams marched down the field and ultimately kicked a game tying field goal.  That’s not on the referees missing a pass interference, that’s on the Saints defense not making a play to preserve the lead.

Furthermore, in overtime, the Saints were the first team to possess the ball.  All they had to do was score a touchdown and they would have represented the NFC in Super Bowl 53.  That’s exactly what happened in the AFC championship game.  The game went to overtime; the Patriots scored a touchdown before the Chiefs ever had the chance to touch the ball.  But what happened in the NFC championship?  Drew Brees threw an interception, thanks to being pressured by the defense, and an athletic play by John Johnson.  The Rams subsequently kicked a 57 yard field goal to earn their place in the Super Bowl.  Don’t blame all that on the referees.  It looks to me like New Orleans failed to make the plays on offense, defense, and special teams.

Drew Brees, classy as usual, has said that the Saints loss wasn’t because of the controversial non-call; it was because they didn’t take advantage of their opportunities.  He’s right.  In the 1st quarter, Los Angeles had trouble even getting a first down, let alone scoring points.  The Saints, meanwhile, were in the red zone twice in that quarter and they settled for field goals.  Being behind 6-0 is a lot different than being behind 14-0 (which would have been 21-0 as the Saints did get a touchdown soon after).  Therefore, it is beyond me how anyone can state the Los Angeles Rams don’t deserve to be in the Super Bowl.  They made the plays.  They found a way to win.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment