Sunday, January 27, 2019

"Who can satisfy my soul?"

It was 8 years ago when I first began this blog; January of 2011.  As I contemplated what I would do to celebrate this, I decided that I want to present a very special blog installment to you that I originally wrote back in April, 2015.  If God told me that He wanted me to write one last blog, but no more after that, I would probably submit the words I composed in 2015 as my parting words.  So here we go:

“This [inherent emptiness] he tries in vain to fill with everything around him…though none [of the things he turns to] can help, since this infinite abyss can only be filled with an infinite and immutable object; in other words by God Himself.”  (https://itsjustme.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/the-correct-quote-of-blaise-pascal/ )

Writer and philosopher Blaise Pascal wrote this way back in the 1600’s, but it is as relevant today as the day he first penned it.  He said that mankind has an inner emptiness in their soul and they don’t know what will alleviate it.  So they turn to anything and everything under the sun: money, power, food, entertainment, recognition; here’s a particularly relevant one: do you think anyone has turned to sex today?  The answer, of course, is yes.  It just amazes me how this culture is completely fixated and obsessed with the topic of sex.  The culture proclaims that living a life of unrestrained sexual expression is not only the normal existence for every human being, but that this road leads you to fulfillment, satisfaction, and bliss.  But this is a lie.

The truth of the matter is, none of these things ultimately have the capacity to fill the emptiness of their soul.  Why not?  Because as Pascal put it, “this infinite abyss can only be filled with an infinite and immutable object; in other words by God Himself.”  The Bible says that God “satisfies the longing soul” (Psalm 107:9; ESV).

You say, “This sounds great!  But what you are talking about is so new to me.  Will you flesh this out for me a little bit more?  What do I have to do to experience this?”  In short, you need to commence a relationship with God; you can’t experience fulfillment with someone you don’t know.  Got questions.org has a great article on this.  I’m not citing the whole thing, but I will quote a couple of paragraphs.

“The only way any of us can have a relationship with a holy God is to admit that we are sinners, turn away from that sin, and accept the sacrifice that Jesus made to pay for sin.  We connect with God through prayer.  We pray in faith, believing that God hears us and will answer.  Hebrews 11:6 says, “Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”  We confess our sin, thanking Jesus for making a way for us to be forgiven, and invite Him to take control of our lives.

Coming to God through faith in Jesus Christ means we transfer ownership of our lives to God.  We make Him the Boss, the Lord, of our lives.  We trade our old self-worshiping hearts for the perfection of Jesus (2 Corinthians 5:21).  Romans 12:1 gives us a visual description of what takes place: “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice.”  Picture an altar dedicated to the only true God.  Then imagine crawling onto it, lying down, and saying, “Here I am, God.  I’m a sinner but you love me anyway.  Thank you for dying for me and rising from the dead so my sin could be forgiven.  Cleanse me, forgive me, and make me your child.  Take me.  All of me.  I want to live for you from now on.”” (http://www.gotquestions.org/give-life-to-God.html)

To clarify, it’s not the words that you say; it’s the attitude of your heart.  A reciting of words doesn’t save you; faith in Jesus Christ saves you.  “Come, everyone who thirsts,” Isaiah implores, “Come to the waters; and he who has no money, come buy and eat!  Come buy wine and milk without money and without price.  Why do spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy?” (Isaiah 55:1-2)

Let me conclude with this: as I was going over this material again, I was reminded of a powerful Dennis Jernigan song that I first heard over two decades ago in church.  “Who can satisfy my soul like You?  Who on Earth could comfort me, and love me, like You do?  Who could ever be more faithful, true?  I will trust in You; I will trust in You, my God.  There is a fountain who is a King; victorious warrior, and Lord of everything… Who could ever be more faithful, true?  Lord Jesus, none but You.”  Amen!

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment