Friday, February 10, 2023

Four blogs crammed into one

There’s a lot going on that I want to write about.  So I decided to change the format up a little bit for today.  Essentially, I have four blogs jammed into one.

#1: “The Flash” enters its final season

Back on Wednesday, the season premiere for the final season of “The Flash” aired.  Honestly, I could go on and on about this show.  “The Flash” is a spin-off of the show “Arrow”.  I remember when I talked with my dad, over pizza at a restaurant, about how much I enjoyed the first season of this show.  It’s a cherished memory because that was in late 2014; he passed away a few months later.

Over the years, I have shared a few storylines from this show in this blog.  I think what I will do at some point soon is celebrate this show by re-visiting some of the stories that I previously blogged about; take a bit of a walk down memory lane.  But I also intend to share some poignant moments that I haven’t previously shared in this blog before.

By the way, some state that the show’s quality has declined in recent years.  I would concede that there have been moments, storylines, and departures that have been regrettable.  But I don’t want to focus on the negatives; I want to focus on the positives.  All in all, the legacy of “The Flash” is it is a team of heroes who have inspired me.  Of course, it centers around Barry Allen, brought to life by the talented leading man, Grant Gustin.  Barry’s courage, optimism, and valor is an example I won’t forget.

#2: Super Bowl thoughts

Super Bowl 57 is going to be happening this Sunday.  I’m not going to be giving my prediction – I’ll say more about that in a second – but I don’t envision it will be a 55-10 blowout that the 49ers gave the Broncos back in 1990.  Or, when the-then Russell Wilson led Seahawks pummeled the Broncos 43-8 in 2013 (the Broncos have three Super Bowl victories to their name, but they were sure the victims of epic Super Bowl beatdowns too).  I think it will be an exciting game, one that goes down to the wire.

There was a time that I used to annually present my prediction, in this blog, for which team I thought was going to win.  I’ve gotten away from this in recent years.  To be clear: I don’t intend to pick this back up.  I could spend some time articulating why, but the bottom line is I don’t feel it’s worth it to alienate an entire state over my opinion.  Passionate fans are ready to go up in arms defending the honor of their team.  It’s just not worth it for me to fight that war over a game.

#3: Valentine’s Day is coming soon

Valentine’s Day is this Tuesday.  I have some thoughts I want like to share that day.  I want to touch on a bittersweet love story, from a superhero film of all things.  So stay tuned for that.  But for now, let me just say whether we have loved and lost, whether we are in a wonderful romantic relationship, or cupid’s arrow still hasn’t hit us, there is a glorious love that is available to us all.  This love is found in friendship and fellowship with God Himself.  And I can attest to you – from personal experience – that His amazing can love seep into every fiber of our being, which can then be poured out on others.

#4: Life is chapters

A Chick-fil-A operator once rightly stated that life is chapters.  I want to illustrate this by describing how actor Henry Cavill’s chapter of playing Superman ended in a very unexpected way. 

Back in December of 2022, Cavill was given sad news: he wasn’t going to be portraying Superman anymore.  This was only a few months after he was told to announce that he was going to return as the iconic superhero.  He even made a cameo as Superman in a post credits scene in the film “Black Adam”.  But new executives had a meeting with him, and told him they were going in a new direction.  So what do say in response to this all this?  The poise, kindness, and attitude Cavill had in response to being dealt this devastating news was admirable.  (The full details of this story, by the way, is in the link below) Here’s what he wrote:

“I will, after all, not be returning as Superman…this news isn’t the easiest, but that’s life.  The changing of the guard is something that happens, I respect that.”  Cavill went on to say, “Superman is still around.  Everything he stands for still exists.  And the examples he sets for us are still there!  My time to wear the cape has passed, but what Superman stands for never will.”  I submit this would make Superman himself proud.

(Henry Cavill story is from - https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/14/entertainment/henry-cavill-superman-no-more/index.html)

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment