Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Batman v Superman (Part 2 - Hope?)

It seems like it was a long, long time ago now when I presented the first installment of my thoughts on the 2016 film “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” (just as I did last time, I’m going to shorten it to “BvS” throughout).  There was a time when I enjoyed this film, but as the years passed – with the general consensus of other moviegoers – I disliked this film.  Today, having recently seen the ultimate edition (the superior version) of this film on DVD, I appreciate it for what it is, but I am in no way declaring that this is the best superhero film ever made either. 

In part 1, I spoke about Batman in “BvS”.  While eventually I plan to return to my thoughts on Batman and his arc in this movie, today I want to talk about Superman.  The Man of Steel is out of character in this whole film, as I see it.  Please understand that I’m not bashing Henry Cavill at all. I think Cavill was a good Superman, but in “BvS”, he was not given all that much admirable content to work with – at least in my opinion.

Before diving in, there is one other thing I need to cover in this introduction: the concept of a multiverse.  The CW network presented a connected universe of heroes someone dubbed the “Arrow-verse” and the name stuck.  The idea is entirely separate universes, similar in some ways to ours, but in other ways, significantly different.  This concept really helped me to understand “BvS”.  For instance, the Batman of this “universe” may not have the smarts that other Batmen typically do (did Batman ever figure out Clark is Superman in “BvS”?), but in what has commonly been referred to as the “Snyder-verse” after Director Zack Snyder, that’s just the way he is.

That said, I still can’t get behind Superman’s attitude in this film.  They already established in the previous film “Man of Steel” (2013) that the S emblem on his uniform on Krypton means “hope”; yet Superman doesn’t radiate much hope in “BvS”.  In fact, there’s a scene where Lois reminds Superman of the family crest he wears and what it means, he basically shrugs it off, and calls it the dream of his father.  Now I get that Superman is inexperienced, mistrusted, debated, and manipulated all throughout the movie.  But no matter how dark the situation, I don’t believe that any Superman in the multiverse would ever say, “No one stays good in the world.”  The first time I heard him deliver that line, my jaw dropped.

Let me contrast this with another superhero film.  Until recently, I had not seen “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” (2014) since that day in the theater 9 years ago.  The reason for this, in large part, was because I knew that Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) dies at the end of the film.  But I had completely forgotten what transpired after this sad development.  Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) is devastated and broken-hearted.  But he decides to watch the speech Gwen had given at Graduation Day – he had originally missed it, of course, thanks to his duties as Spider-Man.  Gwen’s speech, in part, was as follows:

“It’s easy to feel hopeful on a beautiful day like today.  But there will be dark days ahead of us too.  There will be days when you will feel all alone, and that’s when hope is needed most.  No matter how buried it gets, or how lost you feel, you must promise me that you will hold on to hope.  Keep it alive.  We have to be greater than what we suffer.”  Gwen’s hopeful words inspired Peter.  And frankly, they inspired me too.  They made me wish that Superman, even in his dire situation in “BvS”, rather than saying "No one stays good in this world" had instead said something like, “There’s always hope.”  But that wasn’t to be.

Despite all of this, I applaud Superman’s selfless act at the end of “BvS”.  Lex Luthor had created the ultimate weapon, he dubbed it “Doomsday”.  This creature was on a destructive rampage.  Contrary to some critics, no one was going to be able to stop it; not even Batman or Wonder Woman.  So Superman decided to act: he gave his life to destroy the monster, saving countless lives in the process.  I also disagree with those who contend this has moment no emotional impact, because he would just be resurrected next year in “Justice League”.  I confess I cried as I viewed the scene.  In that moment, whether it was intentional or not, I saw my Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave His life for humanity on a cross.  “So that whoever believes in Him,” states the famous verse in John 3, “will not perish, but have everlasting life.”

To be continued!

Kevin     

No comments:

Post a Comment