Monday, May 20, 2024

Reflecting on Jesus - the Good Shepherd

A few weeks ago, I almost got in a car accident on the Interstate.  I swerved at the last second to avoid a collision, but my emotions were frayed.  And then later on that same day, I learned that Mandisa had passed away at age 47.  After all of this, a kernel of today’s blog began to form in my mind; I began pondering this question: what would I say if I knew I only had one last chance to convey something to you?  Now, just to be clear: I don’t have any intention of going anywhere anytime soon.  Every day is a gift, and I plan to continue to relish this gift for a long, long time.  Regardless, I still want to go down this road with you.  

If I had one last chance to speak to you, I would ask you to read some verses in John 10 with me. This chapter begins with Jesus speaking of sheep, strangers, and shepherds; the text says in verse 6, “but they did not understand what He was saying to them.”  So He clarifies in verse 7, “I am the door of the sheep.”  Verse 9: “I am the door, if anyone enters by me, he will be saved, and he will go in and out and find pasture.” 

These are very important, life-changing words from the Lord.  Not only is Jesus is saying that He is the way of salvation (“if anyone enters by me, he will be saved”), but He is also saying that in Him, and through Him, is rest and safety (“he will go in and out and find pasture”).  Psalm 23:2 has similar terminology: it states that the Lord, the Shepherd, “makes me to lie down in green pastures.”  One of the life lessons I’ve learned is that rest and satisfaction ultimately comes from the gracious hand of the Lord.

Verse 10 is a familiar, but powerful verse: “The thief comes only to steal, kill, and destroy; I have come that they may have life and have it more abundantly.”  I’m going to have to reel it in a bit, because I’m passionate about this, but the fact is, John 10:10 has been taught that Jesus is only speaking of material prosperity here.  This is simply not the case.  I like the way the NIV translates it, “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”  Psalm 23:5, in the old King James version, reads, “my cup runneth over”.  I like that word picture, and I can resonate with it; not only do I have life with Jesus, but He makes my life full, to overflowing, certainly fuller than it ever would have been without Him.

Jesus goes on in John 10 to say, “I am the good shepherd.  The good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep” (verse 11).  This speaks of Jesus’ sacrificial death on the cross.  And it is of such vital importance that Jesus reiterates this phrase again in verses 15 and 17.  In verse 17, He states, “I lay down my life that I may take it up again.”  Verse 18 is incredible: “No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.  I have the authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again.”  Jesus basically is predicting a self-sacrificial death, but also that He would rise from the dead after this.  Who else could make such a claim?  No wonder verse 19 states that there was a division among the Jews regarding these words.  But it all happened just as He said it would!

So, what would I say to you, if I knew I had one last chance to convey something?  I would say that Jesus Christ is the Good Shepherd.  Out of selfless love for you and me, He gave His life on the cross; He subsequently arose from the dead.  His work bridged the gap between sinful man and holy God, but it demands a response.  I would urge you to do as Jesus said in John 10:9: to enter the door of salvation, through Jesus Himself, and be saved.  Experience the rest, hope, and fulfillment in Him.  Now, I’m not insinuating that there will never be any pain, heartache or anguish after becoming a Christ-follower (I’ll speak about that more next time, God willing).  But that said, not only can I attest to a new heart and life in Christ, but millions could tell their own stories of transformation in Him as well.

God bless,

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment