Monday, May 6, 2024

Remembering Mandisa

I was shocked when I recently heard the news that Christian singer, Mandisa, passed away a few weeks ago now.  She was only 47.  Mandisa was such an immense talent, one that she freely chose to use for the Lord.  I found myself heart achingly sick upon hearing this news.  Because I know all too well what it’s like to lose someone you love unexpectedly.  I know the deep grief that has been thrust on her family and friends who love her.

As I was processing this news, I came across a story from CBN.com (the link will be below) about a run-in Mandisa once had with Simon Cowell on “American Idol”.  Tre Goins-Phillips reports that after Mandisa’s audition, Cowell called it “terrific”, but added, “Could we have a bigger stage this year?”  A jab on her size.  Then fellow judge Paula Abdul compared her to a previous contestant Frenchie Davis, Cowell replied, “Forget Frenchie; she’s like France.”  Mandisa had already left the stage, but later saw the unkind remarks.  Mandisa’s reply speaks volumes on her character and Christian witness.  She stated,

“Simon, a lot of people want me to say a lot of things to you.  But this is what I want to say to you. …Yes, you hurt me, and I cried.  And it was painful – it really was.  But I want you to know that I’ve forgiven you, and that you don’t need someone to apologize in order to forgive somebody.  And I figure, if Jesus could die so that all my wrongs could be forgiven, I can certainly extend the same grace to you.”

Cowell was likely not used to such a classy, grace-based response, and he did apologize.  In fact, as the author of this piece, Tre Goins-Phillips, wrote, “Ryan Seacrest, the longtime of host of “American Idol,” called Mandisa “the woman who did the possible,” saying, “She made Simon apologize on national television, and we loved it.”” (From CBN.com link found here)

It’s bittersweet whenever a believer passes away.  Family, friends, and fans will miss Mandisa, but we also realize that we mourn more for ourselves than her, as she is in the presence of Jesus in Heaven.  2 Corinthians 5 says, for the believer in Christ, it is “absent from the body” but “present with the Lord.”  I love Jesus’ description of Heaven; He called it “paradise” (Luke 23:43).  We grieve the unexpected passing of this woman of God.  But, for Mandisa, she finished her race; or as she sang in her famous song “Overcomer”, she “stay[ed] in the fight ‘til the final round.”  Maybe she and my dad have even had a conversation about Christian music!

God bless,

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment