Thursday, May 30, 2024

The inevitable passing of time

Life seems to move quickly.  As Barry Allen alias the Flash (the CW version, played brilliantly by Grant Gustin) once put it: “This world can race by far too fast; hard to see when it’s all flying past.”  Blink a few times, and all of the sudden, my niece is turning 15 years old here in a few weeks, my younger brother is turning 40 later on this year, and my dad’s passing was almost 9 years ago now.  Time inevitably marches on.

A few weeks ago, I had the chance to watch the film “American Underdog” starring Zachary Levi as Kurt Warner.  This is a story that tells the life and times of Kurt Warner, and his amazing rise to star NFL quarterback.  I thought it was really well done.  And I have to admit that it’s an odd feeling to watch movies that capture an event that I lived though.  I was watching Kurt Warner and his magical 1999 season with the St. Louis Rams in real time.  Time marches on. 

I got to thinking: what I would say to a younger version of myself?  This is a question that could take many angles.  But for today, I want to present a few answers.  I would tell him what a Chick-fil-A operator once said – a line that I have subsequently used many times since I first heard it; he said, “Life is chapters.”  It’s true.  The other day, I realized a beloved video game “Donkey Kong Country” on the Super Nintendo was released in 1994.  My brother and I played this iconic game like crazy when we were younger.  This video game is a rare gem, a masterpiece – and its celebrating its 30-year anniversary!  

Donkey Kong Country” has beautiful graphics, including one of my favorite levels called “Snow Barrel Blast” that has varying degrees of falling snow.  I know the game so well, my mind instinctively knows that a particularly memorable level is coming.  Because of this, I have unintentionally missed the beauty of the level in my walkthrough of the game, just by focusing on the next one.  I would tell my younger self that I’ve been guilty of the same thing in my real life. Just as I could easily miss the beauty of a stage by focusing on an upcoming stage, sadly, I have missed the beauty of a season of life by focusing on the next season. 

Finally, I started today with a quote from Grant Gustin’s Barry Allen/the Flash.  I want to end by speaking about another version of the superhero.  I recently saw “The Flash” (2023) film starring Ezra Miller.  I could write a whole blog on this topic, but for today, I would submit that this film is an example of how not to end a superhero film.  The first two-thirds of the film is decent enough (Michael Keaton in the Batman suit again is certainly a big highlight!), but it falls flat on its face in the 3rd and final act.  The ending is disjointed and perplexing.  I now use this film to encourage myself: “Kevin, don’t be like “The Flash” film; finish well!”

Don’t misunderstand me when I speak of finishing well.  No one knows the exact years of a lifetime; my Grandma just celebrated her 95th birthday!  I’m about to celebrate my 43rd birthday myself, and I’m excited about where I am at this current season of my life.  I have absolutely no intentions of going anywhere.  But, as James states, “You don’t even know what will happen tomorrow” (4:13).  I trust God with my life, and my tomorrows.  I just echo the words of the Psalmist, when he says to the Lord, “my times are in Your hands” (Psalm 31:15).  But all that said, I still want to endeavor to finish well.  Knowing that one day, whenever that may be, my race will be over.  And I want to cross that finish line well – all to the glory of God alone.

God bless,

Kevin 

No comments:

Post a Comment