Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Happy "3:16 day"

Today, a DJ duo team on a Christian radio station kept wishing the listener a “happy 3:16 day.”  They explained that March 16, or 3/16, put them in mind of John 3:16.  John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world that He gave his only Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.”  I could spent several paragraphs talking about the richness of this verse, but I won’t.  Rather, I want to encourage and challenge you to ponder this verse as if this is the first time you've ever read it.

Let me attempt to help get you started: “For God so loved...” contemplate with me again what it means that the Creator of the entire universe loves us.  Isaiah 40 declares that God “sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers” (verse 22).  We live on a small speck of the universe, a tiny planet called Earth, and yet God loves us, even though we are like tiny grasshoppers to Him.  This is astounding to me!

Another verse in Isaiah always blows my mind.  “As the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so shall your God rejoice over you” (62:5).  How’s that for an analogy?

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment