Sunday, January 29, 2012

A terrific quote

Not too long ago, I came across these words from a pastor named Bill Hybels.  He said, “God has wired us in such a way that the more righteous we are, the more we’ll actually enjoy life.”  I can attest to the truthfulness of this statement.

The dictionary defines the word righteous as “acting in a just, upright manner; virtuous.”  I think there are some who think just the opposite.  They think if you can live a wild, unrighteous, and unrestrained life this is where true happiness is.  But God says, “No, I want you to be righteous, holy, and virtuous.”

As I said, I can vouch for the reliability of Hybel’s words.  I have seen it played out in my own life.  Every time that I made the sinful choice, ultimately I found myself discouraged and unhappy.  As Proverbs 22:8 says, “He who sows iniquity will reap sorrow.”  However, when I’ve made the choice to go God’s way, I found myself joyful and fulfilled.  This is not to say that life will be a comfortable bed of roses just because we choose to follow the righteous path.  There’s no question that life always has its challenges.  But, that said, I truly believe that we place an added weight on ourselves when we live a life of wanton disobedience and unrighteousness.    

Kevin

“But as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written “Be holy for I am holy” – 1 Peter 1:15-16

No comments:

Post a Comment