Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The power of an example

Recently, I wrote an academic paper that asked me to cite an illustration of a leader who is a good example.  I cited my pastor (and friend) Bill Oudemolen.  I wanted to highlight him today.  This is fitting as it October, and thus Minister Appreciation month.

I think it’s important to have periodic reminders of the power of an example.  The Bible says, “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity” (1 Timothy 4:12).  The Bible also exhorts the older, “In everything set them an example by doing what is good” (Titus 2:7).  Young or old, the Bible says, set a good example.  Don’t ever underestimate the power of an example.

Bill’s example influences me to do things God’s way.  This is not just because he proclaims that God’s way is the best way in his sermons.  Don’t misunderstand me: Bill certainly does encourage his church to do things God’s way.  He does so often, with passion, clarity, and insight.  But it’s not just talk.  It’s easy to talk, but it’s something else entirety to back it up.
 
Let me illustrate this.  I think it was the year that the Patriots went undefeated in the regular season when an upcoming opponent was talking a considerable amount of trash about the Patriots.  He was saying that they were going to go down, and Tom Brady was going to eat dirt.  Brady responded with a memorable quote: “Well done is always better than well said.”  You can talk all you want, but can you back up your talk with action?  My pastor certainly does.  He doesn’t have a “do as I say, not as I do” mentality.  He backs up his creeds with congruent deeds. 

You say, “How do you know that?”  Well, God, in His kindness, has given me the privilege of knowing Bill in the context of everyday life, not just in the context of the man that stands behind the pulpit on Sunday mornings.  I have seen that Bill is the same person Monday through Saturday that he is on Sunday.

I also wanted to express my appreciation to Jan Oudemolen, Bill’s wife, for all that she is and all that she does.  The saying is behind every man there is a great woman, and that is certainly the case with Jan.  She is a good example as well.  Pastor Bill and Jan, if you read this, I want you to know that I consider it a great gift to call you both my friends.  Thanks for being good, moral, Christ-like examples.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment