Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What a game!

I had to take a few minutes to say a few words about the Broncos-Chargers game on Monday night.  I didn’t get the chance to see all of it, but I saw most of the second half (and I’ve seen the highlights of the parts that I missed).  The Broncos fell behind 24-0 at halftime.  Absolutely nothing went right for Denver in that first half.  Not a thing.  The biggest case in point was how Eric Decker, on his way to an easy touchdown, tripped and fell.  There was no one around Decker, but for some inexplicable reason, he simply lost his footing.  On the next play, Manning was intercepted by Quentin Jammer on an obvious miscommunication with his receiver and Jammer ran it back the other way for a touchdown.

24-0 at halftime with everything going the Chargers way surely the game, for all intents and purposes, was over right?  Typically that would be the case.  But Peyton Manning and the entire Broncos team engineered an incredible comeback.  The final score was 35-24 Broncos.  There were five second half turnovers – six in all – by the Chargers.
   
I’ve seen many comebacks in my life. I’ve been watching football since I was a small boy.  I’ve seen many comebacks by John Elway.  I’ve seen many incredible comebacks by Peyton Manning in his illustrious career (incidentally, Monday night's game is now the largest comeback in his career).  I saw Tim Tebow seemingly will the Broncos from behind to win several times in his time as the Broncos starter.  But the game on Monday had a different feel than any other game I’ve ever seen.  It had a surreal feel to it.  As the Broncos began to climb their way back, you sat there thinking, “Wait a minute!  Is this really happening?”

Historically speaking, it may not have been the largest comeback in NFL history (that honor still goes to the Buffalo Bills that defeated the Houston Oilers 41-38 in 1993 after trailing 35-3 at one point), but still this was a game that many won’t soon forget.  That’s entertainment for you.  That’s the NFL.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment