Thursday, November 14, 2013

"Give thanks to the Lord"

Colossians 3:15-17 reads, “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs, with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Comprised in these verses, we are told to be thankful (or some variation of it) three times.

With Thanksgiving approaching, I wanted to remind us all that being thankful is a Biblical idea. I’ve mentioned Colossians 3, but consider these other Biblical passages as well:

Psalm 100:4: “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.” Psalm 136:1: “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever.” Here’s a Bible verse that is hard for me to practice: “Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians 5:18).

It was interesting for me to be reminded that the Bible tells us not only to be thankful, but to express our thankfulness to the One who is responsible for the gifts and blessings we enjoy. In James we read, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting sands” (James 1:17). God is a benevolent and generous God. He is ultimately the One that has provided us with the gifts that we can easily take for granted.

For instance, when was the last time you thanked God for the oxygen that you breathe every day? I must confess that I’m guilty of taking this gift for granted. How about sleep? Certainly some of us may not get as much sleep as we could (or should) but the Bible says that God “gives sleep to those he loves” (Psalm 127:2).  By the way, God’s love is not limited to a select few. God loves everyone in the world (John 3:16).

As I’ve alluded to several times, this idea of daily gratitude to God for His benefits is something that I struggle with. The truth is, I find it much easier to focus on what I don’t have than on the fundamental everyday blessings I already possess. This is not as it should be. I want to express my thanks to God daily, not just every late November!

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment