Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanking God even when life hurts

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I wanted to take a few minutes to tell you that while I have a lot to be thankful for, I am most thankful for my friendship and fellowship with the God of the Bible! As I've described in this blog before, when I was a boy I became a Christian. It was the best decision I ever made, and my relationship with God all these years since then has only become sweeter and more fulfilling.

When I talk like this, I would imagine that it makes some of you wince. You may think I’m just walking around with rose-colored glasses on.  You think that my perception is tinted to see only the good and somehow magically block out all the bad. Nothing could be further from the truth. I know that life is extremely challenging. For example, as I look back over this year in my own life, I see the trials that have come in and blindsided me like a linebacker blindsides an unsuspecting quarterback. Jesus said, “In this world, you will have trouble” (John 16:33), and He was so right.

But, even in the midst of the turmoil, my faith and trust in God is the thing that sustains me and keeps me going. Even in the midst of the chaos, I have hope, certainty, and gratitude to God that He alone is in full control. Ephesians 1:11 tells us that God “works out everything in conformity to the purpose of his will.” Certainly that doesn’t mean that we will always understand why God allows specific things to happen. God said in the book of Isaiah that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts (Isaiah 55:8-9). But, even though this is true, God’s will, plan, and purpose is superior, and it will ultimately prevail.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment