Monday, January 27, 2014

My Super Bowl 48 prediction

It has been my custom in this blog to annually make my prediction for who I think will win the Super Bowl. This year’s prediction obviously has special relevance for me because the Denver Broncos are representing the AFC. So without further ado, here’s my guess for the winner of Super Bowl 48: I predict that the Broncos will win. I’m sure I haven’t shocked anyone with my prediction, but let me give you some reasons as to why I believe Denver will win.

My biggest reason is Peyton Manning. He is playing at such a high level right now that I don’t foresee any defense stopping him. The Seahawks are a tough, strong, formidable defense, to be sure, and they may slow Manning and the offense down for a time, but not for the whole game. By the way, here’s an interesting statistic: in his career when he faced number one rated defenses, Peyton Manning has won three games and lost just one.

I’m reminded of when Manning and the Colts played the New York Jets for a chance to go to Super Bowl 44. The Jets had a very stingy defense that year. I don’t know if they were the number one ranked defense in the league, but they were certainly a tough test. The Jets defense showed their strength for a time, but eventually, Manning and the offense was able to start making plays. Ultimately, the Colts won the game 30-17. It could be something similar to that game that happens in Super Bowl 48.

On the other side of the ball, the Denver defense (which has been their biggest weakness all year) has gotten progressively better of late. They have arguably played their best in the postseason. Further, in the AFC championship game, the Patriots tried to run the ball down the Broncos throat and they were unable to do it. I believe that Denver will be able to do the same thing in the Super Bowl, leaving it up to Russell Wilson to air it out. Wilson is undeniably a tremendous talent. He will make some plays, both with his arm and his legs, but I still say that if Denver stops Marshawn Lynch and the Seattle running game, Denver will win.

I don’t think it’s going to be a blowout. My prediction for the score is Denver 28 Seattle 20.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment