Monday, February 3, 2014

Super Bowl thoughts

Well, I’ve been wrong before, but was I ever wrong about my Super Bowl prediction this year! Congratulations to the Seattle Seahawks; they whipped Denver in every way imaginable. Clearly they are the best team in the NFL this year, as fans were given a Super Bowl blowout that no one could have forecasted. While I’m disappointed for Denver, I’m quite happy for the Seattle Seahawks. This was the franchise’s first Super Bowl victory, and they obviously deserved to win it this year.

The game really took me back to those years when the NFC destroyed the AFC every year in the Super Bowl. For a time in the Super Bowl era (thirteen years in a row), it was the NFC teams who had the bigger, stronger, and faster teams, while the AFC teams had to play a perfect game, without a single mistake, to even hope to stand a chance.

At some point, my mind also went to the 2000 Baltimore Ravens, a team known for its overpowering defense. In fact, that defense is regarded as one of the greatest defenses in NFL history. In my opinion, the Seahawks defense played as well as that 2000 Ravens defense did in Super Bowl 35. In that Super Bowl, the Ravens beat the Giants 34-7 in a game where the Ravens defensive players locked on and fired at any Giant player like a homing missile. The Seahawks defense played eerily like that 2000 Ravens defense yesterday (and they played like that all year); I think they belong in the discussion of best defenses ever.

For the Broncos, they will be disappointed, but they should hold their heads up high. It was a phenomenal season. Denver gave their fans such excitement this year. It was, statistically speaking, the greatest offensive production in NFL history. But more importantly than that, the excitement came from the postseason success, this is something that hasn’t happened too much since John Elway retired. I know for me personally it was wonderful to contemplate the Broncos returning to the Super Bowl. Is it disappointing that they didn’t win? Of course it is. But I really believe the Seahawks would have defeated any of the AFC teams that qualified for the playoffs. So kudos to the Broncos on a remarkable season; and, once again, congratulations to the Seattle Seahawks on their dominant performance.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment