Monday, January 26, 2015

Contemplating an incredible passage from the Bible

It’s been a while since I’ve quoted one of my favorite Bible passages in this blog, so I wanted to today.  Philippians 2:3-4 reads, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.  Rather in humility, value others above yourselves.  Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.”  What an incredible passage of Scripture!

Right off the bat, I have to state that it would be arrogant, hypocritical, and patently untruthful for me to claim that I’ve arrived when it comes to perfectly obeying this Biblical admonition.  I’m not the embodiment of someone who always follows Philippians 2:3-4.  Even so, these are precious verses to me.  I do strive to live them out on a daily basis.  I try to take my eyes off of myself and put them on others.  I try to selflessly serve those around me, with no expectation of one day being paid back.

The short-lived TV show “Birds of Prey” first aired back in 2002.  It followed the exploits of Batman's daughter, Helena.  While it wasn’t particularly well received (it was cancelled after one season), I thought it was pretty good – I actually wrote a favorable review of this show at amazon.com.  In an episode entitled “Lady Shiva”, Alfred Pennyworth tells Barbara Gordon (one of Batman’s allies) that she has matured; she now possesses, as he put it, “a capacity to care more for others than you do for yourself.  Now, if that’s not a hero I don’t know what is.”  Sounds a little like Philippians 2:3-4 to me.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment