Friday, January 2, 2015

Every film has its message

I have previously been vocal in this blog about why I enjoy the 2007 film Spider-Man 3.  But it came to my mind again recently, and I want to bring it up today.  Before I do, I have to ask and answer a few questions.  Is this film flawless?  Of course not.  Does this film have moments that are just flat-out bad?  The answer is an undeniable yes.  Honestly, I have to skip certain scenes because they are so cringe-worthy.  So please don’t accuse me of not seeing this film’s glaring shortcomings.  I’m well aware of them.

But, having clearly stated this, the truth of the matter is this: there is a wonderful overall message in the movie Spider-Man 3.  Sadly, it doesn’t get talked about too often because people get hung up on some of the other negative aspects of this Spider-Man caper.  The whole message of the film is this: harboring unforgiveness and inwardly desiring revenge towards someone else isn’t worth its high price; it is much better to choose to forgive them instead.  The power of forgiveness is shown in scene after scene as the movie nears its conclusion.

For example, Peter Parker harbored unforgiveness, bitterness, and a desire for revenge for most of the film.  In a poignant scene, Peter hears a deeply contrite and remorseful Flint Marko explain how Ben Parker had died.  Flint explained that while Ben did indeed die at his hand, he didn’t maliciously attack and murder Ben in cold blood, as Peter had previously thought.  Marko sums it all up by saying, “I spent a lot of nights wishing I could take back what I did.  I’m not asking you to forgive me; I just wanted you to understand.”  Peter responds with three powerful words: “I forgive you.”   Upon Peter’s declaration, you can practically see Marko being released from the inner shackles of guilt he was carrying.

In another scene, shortly before his death Harry Osborn, Peter’s best friend, is on the brink of death.  While fighting by Peter’s side, Harry gave his life to save Peter.  Harry lay mortally wounded, his life ebbing away.  Peter tells him that he never should have hurt him, or said the mean things he did.  It’s true.  Earlier in the movie, Peter had hurt Harry both physically and emotionally.  Yes, Peter was wearing a black alien symbiote suit that made him darker and angrier at the time, but this fact doesn’t exonerate Peter for his actions.  But Harry responded by saying: “None of that matters Peter.  You are my friend.”  Harry chose forgiveness, not retaliation.  Moments later, Harry died.
  
The final scene of the film always makes me cry.  In the very last scene, Peter and Mary Jane reconcile.  Peter walks in to Mary Jane’s workplace; he approaches her and reaches out his hand, wordlessly asking for forgiveness and restoration.  She takes it and the two of them share an intimate embrace.  One of the trailers of this film has Mary Jane saying, “We have to forgive each other.”  I like to think that’s what Mary Jane said to Peter, even though this line inexplicably never appears in the film.  In the end, they chose forgiveness over revenge.  Once again, this was the overall message of the film.

We are obviously not far into 2015.  Many of us make resolutions for how we can improve ourselves.  Why not resolve to let go of that grudge, bitterness, and inner desire for revenge and choose instead to forgive that person that hurt you?  If you are new to this blog, let me just tell you, I know what it’s like to hold on to anger, resentment, and bitterness; I know what it’s like to secretly desire that the guilty party would intensely suffer for what they did.  But thankfully, on more than one occasion, I also have experienced the incredible power of forgiveness in my life.  God has taught me that the only way to ever truly be free is to choose to extend forgiveness.  Spider-Man 3 also teaches us this very important lesson.

Kevin

“Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you” – Colossians 3:13

No comments:

Post a Comment