Monday, January 19, 2015

Super Bowl 49 prediction

It has been my habit on this blog to make a Super Bowl prediction after the match-up has been set.  Before I get into this year’s actual game, I wanted to talk about my record for my Super Bowl prediction picks in this blog.  

In 2012, I made my first prediction for the big game (this blog did exist in 2011, but I didn’t think to make a prediction).  That year was the Giants and the Patriots in Super Bowl 46.  I predicted the Giants would beat the Patriots, and this is what happened.  The next year, 2013, I predicted the Ravens would defeat the 49ers in Super Bowl 47, and I even went so far as to declare that Joe Flacco would be the MVP, and I was correct on both counts.

In 2014, the Seahawks defeated the Broncos in Super Bowl 48.  I, however, predicted that the Broncos were going to win the game.  I have to quote my own words, because they are so funny in hindsight.  I said, “I don’t think it’s going to be a blowout.  My prediction for the score is Denver 28 Seattle 20.”  The result was a blowout, where the Seahawks defeated the Broncos 43-8 in a complete drubbing.  Obviously I was very wrong on that one.  So I’m 2-1.

Super Bowl 49 is the Seattle Seahawks versus the New England Patriots.  While I applaud the defending Super Bowl champion Seahawks for getting back to the Super Bowl again, I am actually picking the Patriots to win.

No, I’m not looking primarily at that trouncing they gave the Colts in the AFC Championship game; I think the more telling story is actually their playoff game the week before against the Baltimore Ravens.  The Ravens led for most of the game.  In fact, Baltimore led by 14 points on two separate occasions.  They had the Pats on the ropes, but they could never deliver that final blow to knock New England out.  The Patriots simply kept fighting and they found a way to win.  I suspect that New England will do the same in the Super Bowl.  It just feels like their year to me.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment