Thursday, February 14, 2019

"For God so loved the world"

I miss my father.  There’s an opening sentence you never expected to read in a Valentine’s Day blog!  But I do miss him.  I miss his leadership, support, and humor.  I miss watching Denver Broncos games with him.  Yet he is no longer with us.  He passed away unexpectedly three and a half years ago; although I must admit sometimes it feels like it’s been three and a half months, not years.

My dad knows what it’s like to lose a father to the icy grip of death, just as I do.  In 2008, his dad – my grandpa – Cecil Bauer, passed away at the age of 79.  I know the tears my dad cried about this fact.  In a poignant composition that I recently came across, Dad wrote some words that I wanted to share with you today.  I’m not going to quote the whole thing, of course, but a portion of it is some noteworthy memories he had of spending time with his father.  Then at one point, he stated this:

“I love my dad.  I know that he’s waiting in Heaven for me.  He left a clear testimony with me that he was ready to meet God 8 months before he left Planet Earth.  Was he a perfect man?  No, what man is?  He, like all of humanity, was in need of a pardon.  That pardon was given when Christ died on the cross.  That pardon he accepted as a free gift from Christ, and entered God’s Heaven when he died.  He realized that he was bankrupt before God.  He could not get into Heaven without accepting that pardon from Christ.  I expect to meet Daddy there, when God calls me home.”

Probably the most famous verse in the Bible begins with these words: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son” (John 3:16).  It’s good to focus on the connections we have with friends, romantic relationships, and family members, but let’s not forget about the immense love God has for you and me.  Why does God love us?  It’s not because we are lovable.  We all can be nasty, crabby, and unpleasant.  Adrian Rogers once said, “God does not love us because we are valuable; we are valuable because God loves us.”

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment