Thursday, February 28, 2019

The bittersweet passing of a faithful servant

A few days ago, I heard the news that Charlie VanderMeer (better known to many as “Uncle Charlie”) passed away at the age of 84.  Keys for Kids Ministries gave this press release: “It is with deep sadness, but great hopefulness, that Keys for Kids Ministries…announces the passing of Charlie VanderMeer (a.k.a. Uncle Charlie).  He passed away quietly at his home on Friday, February 22, 2019, following a recent fall” (cbn.com/cbnnews/uncle-charlie-dead-at-84).  

I confess that, upon hearing this news, I was hit hard emotionally.  It felt like I had lost a kind uncle.  I instantly recalled, with fondness, all the time I spent with him via his radio ministry as “Uncle Charlie”.  Time and time again, he shared the truth of the Word of God with faithfulness.  His influence made a profound impact on me.

The link went on to state Charlie’s amazing last words.  In his final breaths on Earth, he said, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.  I trust Him today just like I did when I was 6 years old.  Knowing Jesus as your personal Savior is the most important thing.”  I’m reminded of the words of the Apostle Paul in 2 Timothy 4; they seem very fitting for Uncle Charlie as well.  He fought the good fight, finished the race, and kept the faith.  There is now laid up for him a crown of righteousness, which the Lord will give to him.

I want to express my condolences to his family.  Evidently, he is survived by his wife Bette, 3 daughters, and a son.  I know the grief, heartache, and pain they are feeling.  But I also know the Bible states that we can actually grieve with hope (1 Thessalonians 4); because of Charlie’s relationship with Jesus, to be absent from the body is to actually be present with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5).  Everyone who was touched by Charlie’s life - and I’m certainly on that list - grieve that is he is gone, but also rejoice that he is with the Lord in Heaven!  Furthermore, I truly believe that he heard these marvelous words of commendation: “Well done, good and faithful servant” (Matthew 25:21).

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment