Monday, September 25, 2023

Reaction Monday/ The hopeless Denver Broncos

I had a bad dream that I want to share with you.  I dreamed that the Denver Broncos played the undefeated Miami Dolphins, and the game was basically over by halftime.  In my dream, the Dolphins quarterback, Tua Tagovailoa, didn’t throw an incompletion the entire first half.  And it was 35-13 at halftime.  Then, in my dream, the decimation of the Broncos continued in the second half.  When all was said and done, the final score was one you’d expect to see in a Madden video game or something; an eye-popping 70-20.  As you know, the irony is I wasn’t dreaming: this was what actually happened yesterday. 

Congratulations to the Miami Dolphins!  That’s an offensive showing that hasn’t been seen in many decades.  Consider these numbers: 10 offensive touchdowns in one game; 5 passing, 5 rushing (first time in NFL history that feat was done).  726 yards (second most in NFL history, 10 short of the all-time record).  I also want to give a lot of credit to Miami’s coach Mike McDaniel.  There was an opportunity, late in the 4th quarter, to kick a field goal and lift their total to a NFL record 73 points.  But McDaniel showed class, sportsmanship, and mercy by having the team just take a knee, and be content with an astonishing 50-point victory.  As it was, no NFL team had scored that many points since 1966!  It was historically incredible for Miami; and an embarrassing train wreck for Denver.

In 2022, there was a renewed sense of excitement and hope in Bronco-land: The Broncos pushed all of their poker chips to the middle of the table, so to speak, to acquire quarterback Russell Wilson.  What followed was a terrible season.  I vividly remember telling a coworker one Monday last year: “another week, another embarrassing Broncos loss.”  But, after the debacle of the Nathaniel Hackett experiment, the Broncos hired a new Head Coach for 2023: Super Bowl winner Sean Payton.  This was supposed to right everything for the Broncos.  Yet today, Denver stands winless three weeks in, and living through another game that resulted in understandable national ridicule.

I thought about the Denver Broncos as an example of hopelessness.  But there are others.  Since I’ve writing about “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice”; the cinematic world of Superman portrayed by Henry Cavill has been fresh on my mind.  I was reminded about the unceremonious ending of Cavill’s career playing the Man of Steel.

In October of 2022, Henry took to social media with the news that he was going to come back as Superman.  Incidentally, this story can be found here.  With a picture of him decked out in his iconic red and blue super suit, he stated, “A very small taste of what’s to come, my friends.  The dawn of hope renewed.”  Like many others superhero fans, I would have liked to see the continued saga of Cavill’s Superman.  But a few months later, he had to announce: “I will, after all, not be returning as Superman.  After being told by the studio to announce my return back in October.”  Then with an attitude that would make Superman himself proud he continued, “This news isn’t the easiest but that’s life.  The changing of the guard is something that happens.  I respect that.”  That development can be read about here.

Sadly, what Henry Cavill called “the dawn of hope renewed”, only lasted a few months.  Therefore, whether it’s the unexpected dashed dreams of a Henry Cavill-led Superman franchise, or a football team that seems to find new ways to humiliate themselves, hope can be an elusive quest.  Hope can’t be found in worthy things like the right romantic relationship, political involvement, raising the next generation, or enduring physical health (because it can be gone in a flash; believe me, I know all about this one).  But, as surely as I’m sitting here writing this, there is hope.

The old hymn says, “My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.  I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus’ name.  On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking ground.”  One helpful resource, found here at Bible verses now.com, puts it well: “My Hope is Built on Nothing Less is an inspiring reminder that no matter what we face, our hope and trust ultimately rest in God and His love for us.  It is a source of comfort and assurance that He is always there for us, now and always.  The lyrics written by Edward Mote in 1834, convey the belief that nothing in this world can compare to the strength and constancy of God’s love and grace.”   

God bless,

Kevin  

No comments:

Post a Comment