Friday, June 28, 2024

An outstanding film is about to turn 20

June 30, 2004.  This is a famous day in superhero film history as it is the day that the film “Spider-Man 2” was released.  It’s no secret that I love this film; I have often contended – and I will continue to do so – that this is the best superhero film ever made.  I give my kudos to the film’s director Sam Raimi; he struck superhero storytelling gold.  Even though I’m a little bit early, I wanted to take some time to share some thoughts, in celebration of this great movie’s anniversary.  To be honest, I could go on and on and on praising various aspects, scenes, and character arcs from this movie, but let me just hit and run on a few elements.

First off, I came across an article from toms guide.com written by Dan Girolamo; he titled it, “‘Spider-Man 2’ is turning 20 – here’s why I think it’s the greatest superhero movie ever”.  I want to commend his article to you; the link is right here for you.  For my purposes today, I want to quote when Girolamo says these words:

“With great power comes great responsibility.” The famous line from Uncle Ben in “Spider-Man” became one of the defining moments of Raimi’s trilogy.  However, the phrase that better represents the core theme of “Spider-Man 2” is “You’ll always have a choice.”  This choice is what Raimi understood better than any director who’s ever worked on a “Spider-Man film.

The choice in “Spider-Man 2” revolves around who Peter wants to be, which determines the outlook on his life.  To live normally, can Peter still be Spider-Man?  Will he sacrifice appearances at plays or physics classes to capture some bank robbers?  Can he be a loyal friend to Harry while still being Spider-Man?  Can Peter love Mary Jane, or must he shut her out to protect her from Spider-Man’s enemies?  This existential crisis causes Peter to lose his powers.  This vulnerability from Peter is something is something rarely seen in a movie with comic book heroes.”

On a personal note, watching “Spider-Man 2” for the first time was a gripping experience that I will never forget.  I could relate to Peter’s desire to want to do the right thing; I resonate with it even stronger today.  At one point in the film, Peter throws his Spider-Man suit in a dumpster and announces, “I’m Spider-Man no more.”  Who among us wouldn’t have made the same choice?  I would have.  Yet, he realized that he could not simply turn his back on his heroic duties.  When he returns to the battle, it inspires us – it certainly inspires me – to stay faithful to our calling, no matter how difficult.  The fact that Peter gets to enjoy a happy ending, for a change, never fails to cause me to cry tears of joy.

To conclude, Dan Girolamo wrapped up his thoughts on this movie with these words: “Take away the webs, the suits, and the villains.  At its core, “Spider-Man 2” is a movie about sacrifice and responsibility.  Peter finally realizes this sentiment in his last conversation with [the film’s antagonist] Doc Ock.  Peter says, “Sometimes, to do what’s right, we must be steady and give up the things we desire the most, even our dreams.  Being a hero is hard, just like making a successful sequel.  But when a filmmaker like Raimi understands the emotional dilemma of being a hero, you get a masterpiece like “Spider-Man 2.”

God bless,

Kevin


No comments:

Post a Comment